•  
Advertise here

FJ Cruiser 07-10 or Prado VX SWB for occasional off road?

Hi Fellas,

I am planning to put my hand on used FJC preferably from 07 -10 model must be under 60k - 70k budget. Majorly it will be used by my wife for grocery run and occasionally by myself for offroading. I am a seasoned offroader who know how to drive and respect terrain, cars and mother nature (nothing crazy sort). Will be 70% sand and 30% wadi and rocks.

What you guys think is FJC makes a good choice or SWB Prado 4.0 is better? Any known issues of either would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a good Eid holidays.

For proper off-road dedicated vehicle i will strongly recommend FJC than Prado for several reasons: FJC has better clearance and excellent approach and departure angle makes big big difference in reaching dunes or wadi's uphill with confidence. In Prado you will get scared more than you will enjoy to not to break the bumpers, unless you modify the bumper to metal ones which RTA will not pass the registration test. FJC gear and 4x4 transmission deliver better low-end torque for quick climbs and better throttle control, than Prado designed for good road speed and you always need to climb with little run otherwise it will bog down too fast.

Before you buy make sure that FJC of 07-08 models have known issue of front suspension damaging the front fender from inside the engine bay area, can be very risky if car is used heavily in off-road jumps and bumps too much in past. Its the known weakest spot of those years of FJC, so better check if its not damaged and get it double reinforcement done once you buy to protect for future. You can Google the detailed procedure or search here, someone might have covered it in the past.