•  
Advertise here

2012 DSG 7 Issue

Dear Gentlemens

Am calling anyone here who bought a 2012 or 2013 golf 1.6 dsg 7 or who know's someone who did, Unfortunately I bought

my golf 1.6 new from the showroom, apparently I am facing such an annoying issue with my gear DSG 7, the car have such a strange obvious sound of rattling or steel scratch I simply don't know how to express it specially when the car shifts from 2nd to third gear and @ lower rpm on the third gear, also when am stuck in a traffic the sound start to be obvious when the car starts moving from ideal... Man the car sounds like a 20 years old :(

After surfing the web , I can conclude there is a big issue with the dsg 7 in europe and china ( China recalled 380000 units) and extended the warranty to 10 years / 160000 km, I did complain here in the showroom somehow the first service advisor did hear the sound, there after my service advisor been changed with another service advisor and I was told this sound normal since the DSG is a manual gearbox and thats a normal sound ( I simply had to smile !!! )

When I was heading out the main entrance I got lucky to meet with someone who just passed infront of me and YES he had the exact same car, did ask him about the issue and he said:

Man the gear on this thing are dangerous, he stated that the dealer have already changed his gear and here he was after 12000 Km he's back again with the same issue.

I did test drive another car in the showroom but the sound difference is really a big difference...

I really appreciate any help,

Good luck if you are buying a new golf !!!

That's real load of crap mate. If dealer is saying its normal then ask them to show and reproduce same noise in other zero km cars in showroom. Dont give up ur right, call Police and make big scene for not honoring your warranty and within 5 mins they will change everything possible to stop this noise.

Dealers love to push at first to see if you get scared and get bugged off easily, and if not then they will entertain you. Its a normal business practice for them as 8 out 10 people go back home crying and sighing that oh god why did i buy this car. And dealer have to fix only for 2, that means honoring the warranty for 20% case and other 80% is simply saving the profit. That's how they make profits and keep opening flashy sales showroom with hot chicks and full page advertisement in gulf news which cost 50,000 dhs per day ad.

• Like (+1) 5

Thanks Dav. for posting, as a matter of fact I just came back from one of the garages in Alquoz, (my friend have advised me to his opinion in the gear matter), the guy was working in vw nabooda and I came to understand he opened his garage ... after a very expert test drive he told me my observation is:

ITS NOT AN GEAR ISSUE, but there is a rattle between the inside parts on lower rpm which leads to a high load for the engine

he said yes there is a problem and after couple of questions and showing him the report from vw, he told me well there is an obvious problem, he was yes usually the dealer wouldn't want solve the issue to cut down their cost and he advised me to go to VW middle east located near the airport road ....

But I assure you dev, we will not keep this issue hanging but my idea is to gather couple of vw golf 1.6 mates and issue a complaint to the consumer right, SOOO ANYONE got the same issue ( am 1000% sure there are plenty of them ) ...

Thanks Dev.

• Like (+1) 4

Hey fab, i understand what you are trying to achieve with group complaint. Please accept that this group things usually keeps hanging on people time, mood, guts, and aggressiveness. Speaking to VW mideast is good idea, i suggest do it alone and nail these guys and then write here how its done to help other owners from your experience. If you wait too long to gather people you might damage something more, so why take that chance.

• 3 years later...

As Saleem says, the main problems that occur with these DSG boxes come from the clutch kit and mechatronics unit. Sometimes it's possible to recode them but more often than not, they're just fit for scrap.

A lot of garages who aren't familiar with DSG gearboxes don't realise that changing the oil and filter in the box should be done every 40k miles. People sometimes overlook this due to the extra cost but these people should ask themselves which is cheaper, a filter and some oil or a new gearbox? Prevention is always better than the cure.

Moreover the human mistakes can be a dangerous as 7 speed DSG (AQ250) have seven type of internal TCM codes (codes vary upon engine 1.0T, 1.2T, 1.4T 1.4T+SC, 1.6, 1.8T)which means during software update if the service engineer installed other software the car will continue moving and driving but eventually the mechatroincs will fail and burn out due to overheating because of wrong version of software update that run higher voltage on circuits.

it even happened with me on my car when Ali&Sons engineer installed wrong version and lead to gearbox mechatronics failure in 10 days. 

• Like (+1) 4