Advertise here

DIY for Begginers

• 2 years later...

I think oil and filters are too messy and dangerous for beginner to start with. How about changing the light bulbs, checking the busted fuse and changing it, changing the spark plugs etc.

• Like (+1) 1

I disagree. Oil changes are one of the simplest things you can do. Check out this guide I wrote on the advice section,

There are lots of good advices on that section of the forum, have a look and see what you can learn, watch videos on YouTube. You can learn a lot of theory on the internet but you need to start doing things and getting your hands dirty to learn properly. 

If you have a tame mechanic, ask them if you can watch them work and get them to explain things to you. A lot of mechanics won't do this so if you find a friendly one, take care of him. 

• Like (+1) 2

I meant due to the mess and hassle involve in getting under the car, removing filter, raising on jack, get oil pan, disposing oil responsibly is too much to scare the beginner.

7 hours ago, Ak said:

Hi Barry

Have you uploaded vdos as well ?

Regards

You are free to upload as I so wanted to start some entry level DIY, but never got a courage to do on my own car.

• Like (+1) 1

As Barry rightly put it, you have to get down and dirty and start somewhere. On my Honda Civic DX 1991 model I changed the Fuel Pump also, but that was a manual one and not one of those electric circuit boards for the Electronic Fuel Injection. You would never know until you don't try. Changing a MAF sensor was easy on my Disco 1, 1998 model, some people would hesitate to charge a battery also with the fear of a shock or burn.

• Like (+1) 1