•  
Advertise here

Defender no longer available in the UAE?

Indeed a bummer! I wanted to order one begin of the year but the sales person was quite surprised that he couldn't do so. He told something about regulations of import and Saudi, but that didnt sound that convincing. And the Defender now also disappeared from the Land Rover Middle East Website. Thats really a shame since I had a crash with mine unfortnately and now willing to buy a new one. SInce the 110 double cab is rarely available as a used one the other option would be to buy a new one. There are here and there older other models on Dubizzle, but rather old ones from 2001 or 2002. I would rather go for a TD5 2005/2006 or a 2009 or younger one. Will go to Al Tayer the next days to figure out whats going on.

One Life - Live It!

Defender 90 TD5

• 1 month later...

Hi was their any feedback from Al Tayer.

I read on another forum that it was due emissions, but the 2.4 meets European standards and the current GCC standard has emissions 3times greater than the Landy.

I'm now looking to import from Europe, which is surprisingly cheap to do, but don't want to get a carh here to find the RTA won't let me register it ?

Any feedback wore Jared all Al Tayer say to me is that they no longer import due lack of sales.

I had the same idea to import one from Germany and had the same fear. I think the emission was only for he TD5. RTA would tell, I couldn't find anything negative yet. Shipping is quite cheap and you get the VAT back if buying from a dealer. Not to bad at the end. Do you have any new findings? Maybe we can import together, not sure if it's cheaper then?

One Life - Live It!

Defender 90 TD5

• 2 months later...

Heya, I checked the import, generally possible and the shipping is not really expensive. Only the insurance for an imported car is a headache. Heard from Al Tayer that that they will get 2012 Defenders in January! Only 90 and 110 standard thought, but better than nothing :) I'm in the process of getting a TD5 90, best engine ever. Loud but reliable.

One Life - Live It!

Defender 90 TD5

• 2 months later...

I gave up and imported a LHD XS 110from the UK.

Import was suprisingly easy and customs and the RTA in Dubai could not have been more helpful. I had it customs cleared and on Dubai plates all in the same morning.

Customs regulations stipulate you need a no objection letter from the importer for a new vehicle so it's easier to get it registered in Europe before bringing here it becomes used and then the only paperwork you need is the registration form UK in my case and the invoice. I had extensive discussions with Al Tayer trying to get an NOC and they just would not budge, hence the UK dealer had the car registered but on export I paid no VAT.

If anyone wants to go down this route and needs advice let me know, it's fairly straight forward once you have worked out the rules export and import.

I gave up and imported a LHD XS 110from the UK.

Import was suprisingly easy and customs and the RTA in Dubai could not have been more helpful. I had it customs cleared and on Dubai plates all in the same morning.

Customs regulations stipulate you need a no objection letter from the importer for a new vehicle so it's easier to get it registered in Europe before bringing here it becomes used and then the only paperwork you need is the registration form UK in my case and the invoice. I had extensive discussions with Al Tayer trying to get an NOC and they just would not budge, hence the UK dealer had the car registered but on export I paid no VAT.

If anyone wants to go down this route and needs advice let me know, it's fairly straight forward once you have worked out the rules export and import.

Now that sounds like a plan, thinking about getting one in 2012.

now you have a nice 110 why don't you chuck the family and camping gear in it and come out this weekend on the Land Rover only mountain and wadi drive i'm doing. we will be back around lunch time on 24th so in plenty of time for xmas eve partys etc. give me a shout on 056 1703053. Richard