Advertise here

How to catch and fix leaking AC System

Been there recently and realize little education can actually help all of us than relying on non-trustworthy workshops. Whenever AC cooling deteriorate there is first thing to doubt is the Freon (AC gas) leak due to which AC cooling subside in days or weeks time. This especially found very obviously during peak summer day time driving in the city when compressor need all the Freon inside to keep the cabin cool with very limited fresh air in slow moving traffic.

The most common way for finding an AC gas leak, first is to visually inspect the HVAC system hoses inside the engine bay for leaking spots by oil stains. When AC gas leaks from system, it immediately evaporates in form of thin air which absolutely leave no traces or marks except the little oil from AC compressor. Look for wet oily spots on AC hose connection and fitting or some greasy streaks.

Once you find out where the leak is, it need to be immediately repaired and new gas need to be filled up. Gas leaks allow moisture to enter in your AC compressor with Freon, and that moisture react with Freon to form corrosive acids and sludge that will spoil your AC compressor. So more delay you make to repair the leak, more damage to AC compressor it will cause. Once you repair the leak, all the AC gas needs to be pumped out and discarded and fresh quality R134a grade Freon must be use to refill the compressor. Before filling up shop can do the pressure test with CO2 gas and look for additional leak by keeping and eye on pressure gauge for drop in 5-10 minutes time. If no drop in pressure is noticed, you are good to go with new supply of AC gas. Also make sure that Freon is made in US or Mexico as many times sub-standard AC gas might cost you less, but in long run it will damage your AC compressor for sure and it will age very fast.

Hope my recent finding and experience help other in this Landy's world. Chio

>Greg wrote:

>You sound as though you found out the hard way!. The A/C in my 2002 Disco is

>leaking and I have just been quoted AED6,800 by AAA. Ouch! Do you know of

>anybody else?

You can try the gulf star in sharjah, may be AAA quoting for new compressor in that price. You can check with gulf star if they can source one from used spare parts that will bring down cost tremendously. Friend of mine recently got 2001 Range Rover used compressor for 1200 dhs.