Advertise here

More rattling!

Hi

I have a 2016 Pajero with the standard side-mirror rattling, fortunate it dont make a sound just a bit it irritating when looking in the mirror.

but i have another rattle that is making be go crazy(er) from the middle console i have a rattle and after much searching and prodding i realized its the cover over the gear selector and 4wd selector If i put my hand on it it stops! EUREKA!

have any one of you guys had the same and is there some nice solution? im thinking of just wedging something in the seam against the rest of the interior but it is not very nice.

Regards

Per

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Barry said:

At least you know what’s rattling. That’s the hardest part. There must be a way of sticking a wedge in without seeing it. 

Totally agree, finding these buggers are the hardest part. In my wife Trail Blazer, there is constant rattling from behind the passenger seat and it's been two years I have tried all the guesswork to find the culprit, but failed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

The only advice I can offer for stubborn or difficult to find rattles is to find garage that has a NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) kit. They can hook up a couple of microphones to an oscilloscope while driving the vehicle, and provided the technician is able to interpret the resulting waveform, he can pinpoint the source of the rattle in minutes.  

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, treks said:

The only advice I can offer for stubborn or difficult to find rattles is to find garage that has a NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) kit. They can hook up a couple of microphones to an oscilloscope while driving the vehicle, and provided the technician is able to interpret the resulting waveform, he can pinpoint the source of the rattle in minutes.  

I so wish if we have such high end, capable and dedicated car workshops in UAE. This sound so alien

• Like (+1) 3

To the wedges we go and as soon as i have a little free time i have to join you in the desert and probably a few more rattles will develop :D 

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Per A said:

To the wedges we go and as soon as i have a little free time i have to join you in the desert and probably a few more rattles will develop :D 

And then at 6K rpm all rattles will go away

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

8 hours ago, treks said:

I used a system like that a while back to find a pinking cylinder. Had 4 magnetic microphones and a pair of headphones and a switch to change channel. A lot of uses for it, only limited by your imagination. 

As @Gaurav said, the majority of workshops here are ill equipped. Some don’t even have basic stuff like a multimeter, just a bulb taped to a screwdriver. I’ve been here 3 years and I don’t even think I’ve seen a timing light. I tried to go to a tool store  to buy one once and they were like, what’s that, so I had to do my best and set it by ear. Forget about dial gauges and stuff, not going to happen. 

I got really lucky this time. Started in a new shop that was just taken over. It has a tool room that nobody has ever been in. The previous owner was some rich German guy who ordered one of everything out of the catalog. I spent a couple of hours the other day and my mind was blown by stuff that I was finding. I’ve never even seen some of this stuff in main dealer shops if been in. When was the last time you seen a set of spiral sockets? I’ve hired a good team of guys, the kind of nerds who like to stay up all night on the internet and read stuff, not the kind of guys who learn to change brake pads and decide, ok I’m a mechanic now. So big hopes and dreams of moulding some minds and encouraging thinking outside the box, and it might actually work. There comes a time to say I’m fed up rolling in dung. 

• Like (+1) 5