•  
Advertise here

Should I change tyres?

Eduardo sos

Hello lovely people and happy 2022!

Ive just bought a Toyota FJ and Im ready for my second offroad dunes session - I am a real beginner. 
My car came to me with Bridgestone dueler H/T tyres and Ive seen it is a pretty standard model. Tread looks fine. 
question is: Ive spent money on the car, now buying compressor and all small bites and pieces and feeling lazy to also spend on tyres. 
would these tyres give me grip for the joy of a beginner in dunes? Or should I open my wallet again as the tyres wont perfom?

TIA

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Eduardo sos said:

Hello lovely people and happy 2022!

Ive just bought a Toyota FJ and Im ready for my second offroad dunes session - I am a real beginner. 
My car came to me with Bridgestone dueler H/T tyres and Ive seen it is a pretty standard model. Tread looks fine. 
question is: Ive spent money on the car, now buying compressor and all small bites and pieces and feeling lazy to also spend on tyres. 
would these tyres give me grip for the joy of a beginner in dunes? Or should I open my wallet again as the tyres wont perfom?

TIA

Welcome to the club @Eduardo sos ! I would definitely advise you to keep your tyres as long as they are still fine. We have plenty of members that drive even high level drives with standard tyres.

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Fredy advise is a money saver indeed, but you should never forget that HT tires have a limited role to play while off-roading.

• You can't deflate lower than 14 PSI
  • You can't self recover like others running on AT tires
  • You can't compare the performance of HT with AT tire - Huge difference.

However, as you just starting so you can continue with newbie drives with HT tires, but try to switch to AT as soon as you can if you really wanna enjoy and learn "safer" off-roading.

Many have pushed this bar too far to prove a point or two to others or to themselves, but it invites unnecessary risk of damaging car transmission and engine, fighting gravity stupidly - sliding all the way to the point of flip or roll over, getting stuck often as you can't deflate below 13-14 PSI, frequent pop-outs, zero self recovery possibility on simplest of a stuck.

Tires are the first contact between sand and your vehicle, and that should be the first ever upgrade or mod anyone should consider for sand off-roading after buying the shovel.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use