Advertise here

Grinding tranny/t-case noise when stopped in gear

Hi guys,

About 6 months in with my new 2004 Disco and when I am stopped at a red light with auto tranny in drive there is a grinding (almost diesel) sound coming from under the truck. It seems to be from the tranny/t-case area. When I put the transmission into neutral the grinding stops. I would guess it's a t-case issue but any hints or guesses that you may have could help me heaps. Trying to figure out how hard this is going to hit me in the wallet...

Thanks folks!

edit: I have crawled under and neither driveshaft is turning when vehicle is stopped in drive. I have scoured other forums and that seems to be the main culprit, which makes my problem all the more perplexing to me.

Drive shaft moves when vehicle moves, and hence its not driveshaft noise as it usually comes at 50 kmph with slight vobling.

This could be some engine or gear foundation (as jamal said) weak or completely torn. In this case you will usually have vibration but not grinding noise, can you confirm if its grinding noise or slight vibration you meant to say?

Depending on which foundation is faulty its couple of hundred job not much. My advise if one engine mount is faulty change all, or else soon you will change another one. Engine has 3 mounts and gear has 2 mounts, each cost around 100 dhs plus labor could be 100 - 200 dhs for changing all.

John and Jamal, thank you both very much! Seems as though there is in fact one engine mount that has sheared! Now the adventure begins to find a garage for my first repair. Any trusted places that do good work and won't try to overcharge? Is AAA pretty fair on things like this?

Thanks again, guys.

• 2 months later...