•  
Advertise here

Subwoofer options for an FJ Cruiser

Niki

Hi community,

2 drives into my Carnity experience, I am realizing how disappointing the stock Speakers in the new FJ Cruisers sound as the setup includes 8 speakers but no SubWoofer.  tiny sound, rattling doors and just a disappointing experience (that and the tyres are my only gripe - i love the car in every other way) 

With every future drive with the club being a minimum 2 hours round trip just to the meeting points, I feel the need to improve the Acoustics in the car and add some real bass/subwoofer. 

Current Setup:

• 2 small speakers on either side of the Dash
  • 2 speakers in the front doors
  • 2 Speakers in the rear pillar 
  • 2 speakers in the roof/headlining above passengers
  • 12" touch screen Android head unit
    • Toyota didn't provide any documentation for the head unit (so i do not know its specifications however will try and search for this form the FJCruiser Forum) 
    • i will try and source the manufacturer and specs of the current speakers also if that offers any value

My Goal:

• Not replace the current speakers (only 1 month in and i am not an audiophile (yet) so feel its just the low end i am missing out on) 
  • add a subwoofer that will work well with the current set up
  • ideally keep the trunk space empty (have though about under seat Subs?)
  • open to using the space in the trunk if that's a better option
  • budget - good quality sound (not needing competition grade and not looking for budget options) 
  • Installation: if the team are looking for a small project i would happily get my hands dirty to learn and do it together otherwise i am looking to buy and install from the same place (as per previous advice on this forum) 

Help needed: 

1. Should I consider the stock FJ Subwoofers as an option? either from one of those scrap yards or second hand? 
  2. or is there a far better sounding option by buying aftermarket stuff with a custom enclosure 
  3. any advice on thsoe that have added a Subwoofer to a stock system and the basics i will need (assumed a new Amp + sub and cabling being the only requirements?) - but assume i am wrong as a cross over i suspect is essential but do educate me here 
  4. can the community help guide me on a recommended set up 
  5. long shot - any of the group up to help install as a project or advise on suitable locations to source and fit they trust. 

thanks again 

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use