•  
Advertise here

Sand in Speaker Jeep JL

Looper

I drove my Jeep Wrangler JL without the roof for a month, approx 7-8 drives, and it got drenched with a lot of sand in the dash area as well.

Some sand dripped through dash to the speaker under the front dash near my knee area in the driver side and it makes crackling sound. When I asked the authorised service center to clean the dash they said it will cost 1000 bucks to remove the front dash  and clean it. Please advise what to do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:53 PM, Goutam said:

I drove my Jeep Wrangler JL without the roof for a month, approx 7-8 drives, and it got drenched with a lot of sand in the dash area as well.

Some sand dripped through dash to the speaker under the front dash near my knee area in the driver side and it makes crackling sound. When I asked the authorised service center to clean the dash they said it will cost 1000 bucks to remove the front dash  and clean it. Please advise what to do.

have you tried gently blowing some compressed air into it ? 

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

On my JL after winter without a roof, the buttons of the central panel began to stick, where the climate control is (while I always had a very clean interior). Pretty annoying, I'll see what Jeep offers as a solution during the next service. Vacuum cleaners / compressed air didn't help at all

• Like (+1) 2

Use a detailing brush or paint brush with long bristles to poke through the speaker grille and agitate the sand while holding a vacuum close to suck the sand out. 

If you are getting a crackling sound, I would say it’s more likely there is a bad connection or problem with the speaker cone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 4/12/2021 at 9:53 PM, Goutam said:

Isn't it covered in warranty...sand or whatever shouldn't they be fixing it as part of warranty cover..? 

2 hours ago, Ilya Golubinsky said:

On my JL after winter without a roof, the buttons of the central panel began to stick, where the climate control is (while I always had a very clean interior). Pretty annoying, I'll see what Jeep offers as a solution during the next service. Vacuum cleaners / compressed air didn't help at all

Same question - shouldn't warranty take care of that...?

• Like (+1) 1

The speakers are located near the knee area not easily accessible and would require removing the complete dashboard.

I am not sure warranty will cover this situation as there is no problem with the product. It is self inflicted. 

I tried compressed air from my air compressor but it did not help.

The best result I got  when I spanked the area where the speaker grill is located with with hand, it did help a bit and a lot of sand fell off behind the dash. The crackling sound came down but still present. I ran the speaker with full volume  to agitate the sand off, it hardly helped.

While installing A Pilar spotlights this week I asked the garage people to clean it a bit, as they were putting a switch in the vicinity the cleaned a bit more. But a faint distortion is still present.

I too had issues with sand getting stuck in the AC buttons. When the service manager saw my car without a roof he had advised me to ensure they are kept clean, since otherwise the buttons could get jammed. Luckily it was not severe in my case.

I don’t think Jeep service center does any work to clean the dash of sand, and even if the will do, it will cost a ton.

don't drive like its your last one.

Important Information

Terms of use