Advertise here

Pajero is making clanking noise in dunes

Hi All, my Pajero is making clanking noise when one front wheel is up and the other is down while offroading in sand dunes, not in any other angle or terrain.

Any clue what I need to start looking at first? Thanks in advance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi @Gaurav Although very limited knowledge, but my curiosity and search on this is as below :  - So to me, I link it more to driving over a bump....

"That clunking noise you hear from the front end of your car when driving over a bump can be telling of an issue with your car’s suspension. More specifically, the problem is with your control arms or suspension system struts. 

This damage can occur if you are off-road or roughly going over potholes. Sometimes control arms can just wear out on their own."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Sounds like a cv axle on its way out… 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

18 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Hi All, my Pajero is making clanking noise when one front wheel is up and the other is down while offroading in sand dunes, not in any other angle or terrain.

Any clue what I need to start looking at first? Thanks in advance.

Is this on your gen 2, could be many things. Most likely if it’s coming from the front it’s the sway bar bushing or the torsion bar mounts. Could also be the shocks or the diff mounting.

Try driving in 4l reverse at full lock, will tell you if the cvs are causing any issues, you can disconnect the sway bar and carefully simulate the same conditions with a raised wheel to see if it’s still happening.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks, guys for all the valuable advice. I checked the CV first as I have a special relationship with them (with extra lift, I shot too many CV in the past) and know very well how to check the shot CV, torn boot, or clak clak noise (tire revolution-based, regular clak at each rotation). It's sure not a CV.

Same for shock, as it's not regular squeak or claking and only comes when the driver's front tire side is up, while the passenger's front tire is down.

image.png

My mechanic checked it and his advice matches with @Stumpy Paj too that it seems the stabilizer bar bush is a little old, although not yet broken, torn or shaking. He didn't find anything else other than 50% doubt on that one bush.

Also with the symptom, this diagnosis matches fully, as the stabilizer bar holds the balance between both wheels.

Will get that change and test it again. Thanks guys.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.