Advertise here

Never Ending Topic Tires :)

VCO

good morning

I just realized that my spare is totally different then my tires. I have Hankook dynapro 245/70 R16 on wheels and my spare is Dunlop 265/75 R16

so my spare is ~ 5 Cm bigger than my tires :( I was already thinking about getting big tyres so I guess this is a good time

Last sunday I spend 5 hours cruising in desert around Madam road to Hatta and in copule of occasions I could not get to the hills which my friend easly gets with his Fortuner 265 wide Geolander

I had the momentum and did not feel any lack of power but my tires keep turning and not getting me anywhere ( they we all 15 psi)

so this is the question

What is the biggest size I can fit ? Can I go 275-285 range with my currents rims , they are 7" I guess

Are Cooper ATRs any good in sand? Last time I spend some time in climbing some rocks and it was fun as well so I need a tyre which can also handle such situations

thanks

Get 265 BFG or ATR, both are equally good for sand and rock climbing.

Slight different in spare tire wont make any difference if ever you use spare for few days, so i hope you are not only changing to get perfect size but actually you have a need for offroad usage. To be honest tire difference contribute 5% on performance and that climb issue what you are referring having another hidden issue known as real output difference. Check HP and torque for fortuner against its weight and do same for disco.

The Fortuner is available with two engines, the 118 kW (160 PS; 158 hp) rated 2.7 L or the 175 kW (238 PS; 235 hp) rated 4.0 L.

1999 - 2003 LR Disco: Produced 188 hp (140 kW) at 4,750 rpm and 250 lb·ft (340 N·m) at 2,600 rpm.

Fortuner: 235 hp / 1800kg = 130 hp/ton

Disco: 188 hp / 2000 kg = 94hp/ton

Double check the figures, as i have done this very quickly to give you an idea. You can do same for torque figures.

I need the offroad tires. one of the current ones already damaged so I do not know how much it will hold

I'll probaby go for Cooper ATR .

you are offcourse right about power ratios between fortuner and my disco but I still think more suitable & wider tires will make difference