•  
Advertise here

Recovery traction boards

Hisham Masaad

Good morning @Hisham Masaad

There are different models in the market. You have the flexible roll-up tracks like this:

See the source image

And then you have the solid models like this:

* Maxxtraxx

* ARB

* AOR

* Chinese Dragon Mart copies.

See the source image

See the source image

My opinion:

The flexible ones i have seen in action a few times, but never seen them working in sand. I do not believe they are worth it. The solid ones however are a nice item and when used properly, can get you out of tricky spots IF you also understand the essentials about self-recovery and use the blip-blip method instead of flooring the throttle.

There will be difference in rigidity/flexibility between the professional models like ARB and Maxxtraxx vs the cheaper Dragon Mart models, but how less effective they are i do not know.

Have a look at below video. I happen to know the guy and i discussed this event with him after seeing it online. As he likes going for long overlanding trips, he got stuck on a salt flat and was able to get himself out with these boards:

I know that a wet sabkha is totally different from dry desert sand, but i have seen @frederic demolder using his boards a few times, and maybe it was not always a success, but sometimes it was just the little 5% of traction he needed to wiggle the car out. As i said you need to use them with caution so they don't fly out when you rev to hard. Use the blip-blip method and put at least two boards on each wheel that has no traction. Be gentle with the gas and just try to find a bit of traction.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."