•  
Advertise here

A/C sandstorms!

Islam Soliman

Hello fellow Off-roaders, posting here hoping someone can help with an answer out of similar experience.

The more I take my Yukon to the desert the more I notice that when I turn my A/C on and fan on high speed a blasting sand storm comes out of the a/c vents for a minute or two before it settles. 

I tried to look for the A/C filter to clean it but found out for 2012 models onward GMC discontinued the a/c filter they used to install behind the glove box.

As this is a repeating thing, I am wondering if someone have any similar experience of a solution to prevent (long shot) or at least remove the sand by myself after each drive or even on weekly basis.. 

TIA

• Like (+1) 2
  • Confused (0) 1
  • Sad (0) 1

5 minutes ago, Islam Soliman said:

Hello fellow Off-roaders, posting here hoping someone can help with an answer out of similar experience.

The more I take my Yukon to the desert the more I notice that when I turn my A/C on and fan on high speed a blasting sand storm comes out of the a/c vents for a minute or two before it settles. 

I tried to look for the A/C filter to clean it but found out for 2012 models onward GMC discontinued the a/c filter they used to install behind the glove box.

As this is a repeating thing, I am wondering if someone have any similar experience of a solution to prevent (long shot) or at least remove the sand by myself after each drive or even on weekly basis.. 

TIA

We faced the same on our 2008 Pajero that has no cabin filter (although there is a provision). After installing one we noticed significant improvement.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 minute ago, Frederic said:

We faced the same on our 2008 Pajero that has no cabin filter (although there is a provision). After installing one we noticed significant improvement.

Thx @Frederic, so a filter can be added? Didn’t know that.. will check with my garage.. thx

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Islam Soliman said:

Thx @Frederic, so a filter can be added? Didn’t know that.. will check with my garage.. thx

I found this online for a 2008 model:

Looks to be behind the glove compartment.2008 Gmc yukon cabin air filter location

• Like (+1) 5

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I did the same as @Frederic. Land Cruiser has slot but didn't come with filter. I added one but also always leave AC on recirculate so it doesn't pull outside dust and sand. 

I would have them find where filter goes and do a full evaporator clean if you have sand coming through. Evap coils are probably clogging near bottom and can also clog the drain and water will leak back in cab.

What year is your Yukon?

• Like (+1) 4

Xterra has a air filter at the same location behind the glove box. Sand accumulates there and u get "sand storms" after every drive with switching the AC on.  One needs to clean that filter regularly like we clean the air filter for engine 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

I found this online for a 2008 model:

Looks to be behind the glove compartment.2008 Gmc yukon cabin air filter location

Yes but I think they discontinued installing it for newer models 😢

1 hour ago, Wade Pat2 said:

I did the same as @Frederic. Land Cruiser has slot but didn't come with filter. I added one but also always leave AC on recirculate so it doesn't pull outside dust and sand. 

I would have them find where filter goes and do a full evaporator clean if you have sand coming through. Evap coils are probably clogging near bottom and can also clog the drain and water will leak back in cab.

What year is your Yukon?

• Like (+1) 2

Hi @Islam Soliman

There is a Retrofit Kit to restore an airfilter: LINK

A video showing the method: LINK

I have no clue if this matches your model however was fun exploring how you folks with older rigs have to hack/innovate... i think a future me will be picking up an old classic to enjoy playing with.  The suppliers site states this should work with you car (fingers crossed)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Niki said:

Hi @Islam Soliman

There is a Retrofit Kit to restore an airfilter: LINK

A video showing the method: LINK

I have no clue if this matches your model however was fun exploring how you folks with older rigs have to hack/innovate... i think a future me will be picking up an old classic to enjoy playing with.  The suppliers site states this should work with you car (fingers crossed)

Thx a lot @Niki.. will explore this option… 

P.S. Old is Gold 😂😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1