•  
Advertise here

Recovery Point on Frame or Recovery Point in Hitch Receiver

Cha

Hi everyone, 

Need some valuable knowledge/ advices from you on this:

As we all know, Nissan is famous for making weak recovery points. For my Pathfinder, I have already upgraded the front recovery point when I installed the skid plate. Altho the back one is still in healthy condition, I would like to upgrade it before any possible surprises can happen.

I now have 2 options:

1. Install the recovery points on the frame, as I did in the front.

2. Replace my GCC rear bumper beam that has no hitch receiver to a original USA spec beam that has hitch receiver as a part of the beamimage.png.b20e62b6d8989c4c1e48228876de5386.png and put on a rated D shackle as the rear recovery point. image.png.7ceeba0278f3392cd50f4560efd38ee6.png 

I prefer option 2 replacing the beam for various reasons, but I am not sure if the strength will be trustworthy during recoveries? Please enlighten me.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

Hi everyone, 

Need some valuable knowledge/ advices from you on this:

As we all know, Nissan is famous for making weak recovery points. For my Pathfinder, I have already upgraded the front recovery point when I installed the skid plate. Altho the back one is still in healthy condition, I would like to upgrade it before any possible surprises can happen.

I now have 2 options:

1. Install the recovery points on the frame, as I did in the front.

2. Replace my GCC rear bumper beam that has no hitch receiver to a original USA spec beam that has hitch receiver as a part of the beamimage.png.b20e62b6d8989c4c1e48228876de5386.png and put on a rated D shackle as the rear recovery point. image.png.7ceeba0278f3392cd50f4560efd38ee6.png 

I prefer option 2 replacing the beam for various reasons, but I am not sure if the strength will be trustworthy during recoveries? Please enlighten me.

Option 2 is my opinion the best one for the following reason:

-during recovery the load is being distributed, as a trailer hitch bar is usually mounted from both sides, so there will be at least 4 bolts. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

For option one three bolts for each recovery point is required 

for option two as Fred said the load is distributed on minimum 4 for the whole block which is even better 

in my X Terra I still have the stock front one and still in good condition while the rare one I installed option one with three rated bolts for each recover point 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Option 2 does evenly distribute the load.

But in your existing setup do you have recovery points on both sides at the rear. If so, I would look to upgrade that as it gives the flexibility while doing some difficult tugs

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks for the advices everyone, heading to sharjah for the beam replacement tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Srikumar said:

But in your existing setup do you have recovery points on both sides at the rear

there is only 1 point on left side, and I have heard from many that those original points are weak, hence upgrading is necessary

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

have heard from many that those original points are weak, hence upgrading is necessary

For Xterra yes , not sure about pathfinder, and I have replaced the left and added a right one as well as I mentioned before. Two points that give flexibility in difficult situations as Sri mentioned . Planning to add front left as well soon 

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, M.Seidam said:

For Xterra yes , not sure about pathfinder, and I have replaced the left and added a right one as well as I mentioned before. Two points that give flexibility in difficult situations as Sri mentioned . Planning to add front left as well soon 

Its the exact same setup for both cars, the type of the points, the location, and the bolts.

I plan to use the hitch one for recovery mainly, and keep the original left point as back up, and add a right point later on. 

8 hours ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

Its the exact same setup for both cars, the type of the points, the location, and the bolts.

I plan to use the hitch one for recovery mainly, and keep the original left point as back up, and add a right point later on. 

Take into account that the big majority of recoveries is being done from the front.  For the simple reason that it gives you much better visibility to the situation at hand.

• Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

Take into account that the big majority of recoveries is being done from the front.  For the simple reason that it gives you much better visibility to the situation at hand.

Thanks Fred, noted😁

• 3 weeks later...

So I found a OEM US spec rear beam with hitch receiver for Pathfinder R51, and have it replaced,

While lo oking at the OEM GCC beam, I realized that the recovery point is strong enough (in my opinion), it's a part of the rear beam.

And then I remembered that Xterra comes with a metal center piece bumper instead of a rear beam..... I was so sure that Pathfinder has the same recovery points setup as Xterra's, because in the front the recovery points are just identical between the two.

I should have checked this better when car is lifted for service ☹️1643713960153.jpg.ba07a464781077b06f445c2bc95b95b7.jpg

Ordering Shackle Hitch for this weekend IM drive now 

Edited by Zixuan Huang - Charlie
  • Like (+1) 1