•  
Advertise here

Pajero impersonating a Jeep for a week.

What can go wrong has this week🥴

First a A/C high pressure line split, had a quote of close to 1300 to replace and recharge. Managed to buy the parts myself and do the whole job for about 400 including a trip to the service station for a charge.

then the steering rack has packed it in, rattling like crazy,

and today the starter motor gave up the ghost 🤬I think.

has anyone had to replace a starter in a Pajero? What were the symptoms? This is very slow to turn over especially when hot. Some times it won’t turn at all. It’s trying to turn but just doesn’t seam to have the power.

I have run a jumper lead from the battery to the block and tested the battery. Have also used a jump pack but still the same.

removed the starter and tested it, does seam a little slow and rattly but I don’t know what these are like normally. (Shocked at how small it is)

IMG_3781.jpeg.c46cb9485a70dac2099ccd4e928bf723.jpeg

Disassembled and had a look, gave it a clean, the the brushes and the commutator seams ok. Bit of gunk but bearings and reduction gears are all free.

IMG_3787.jpeg.99863e805e5ae165c95c4e5b65fccdf0.jpeg

not sure, a new one is about 1300dhs so want to be sure before shelling that out.

any advice 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

You seem to be a pretty genius to reach this far to test.

If still not sure, if it's a starter or not, you can pick one from scrap for 200 dhs to test it. If that works, order a new one.

If you need the Pajero scrap guy's number, lemme know.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

9 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

You seem to be a pretty genius to reach this far to test.

If still not sure, if it's a starter or not, you can pick one from scrap for 200 dhs to test it. If that works, order a new one.

If you need the Pajero scrap guy's number, lemme know.

Hi @Gaurav thank you that would be great if you had a number. 

I am pretty sure it’s the starter but would like to be sure before I get a new one.

@Stumpy Paj Did you check the voltage drop accross the starter solenoid contact? Basically the voltage on the big terminal on the starter solenoid (which is connected to the battery cable positive) should be the same at the other big terminal to the starting motor. You can use multimeter on VDC connected at both big terminals, one lead on the battery+ and the other lead on the starting motor terminal. When you energize the solenoid, read the voltage drop. Should be less than 1VDC drop on a good contact. If more than that, probably the solenoid contact is faulty.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Frans Mthank you, I didn’t measure the solenoid, it appears to be engaging the solenoid correctly but just not turning the engine with the same power as normal. I did measure the battery voltage when cranking and it didn’t drop below 10.8 volts.

i am pretty sure it’s the starter itself, as it’s my daily driver I have just ordered a starter 🤞

Will update this afternoon 

• Like (+1) 1

@Stumpy Paj sometime the voltage level did not drop when crank attempted, is due to not much current flow accross the solenoid contact to rotate the starter armature when you have a bad solenoid contact. However, it will be perfect to replace with new starter 👍.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Update: new starter and she’s all fixed👌 thank you for your help.

next job: steering rack, I wonder if I can replace this in the car park as well😳🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Alexanderrr said:

@Stumpy Paj new steering rack will cost you 2500-3000 dhs ,you can do rebuild for 1000 including labor (cleaning and changing seals etc)

@Alexanderrr thank you, I think it is the bushes inside the rack that are flogged out, it is not leaking yet. This is my second rack (used) and it has been rebuilt already so I don’t have much confidence in any of the work shops here.  I should have just brought a new one the first time around 😂

if they can replace the bushes and adjust the backlash properly, and provide a warranty then would definitely look at a rebuild. If you know of any shops I could talk to that would be great