•  
Advertise here

Improving the suspension of the Nissan Patrol Y61

Greetings to all forum participants!✌️
You may have seen my past posts on tuning the TLC 300 and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Since I often work on cars, this time I got my hands on the Nissan Patrol Y61 suspension.

One of the key enhancements was fitting this steering tie rod, and I'd like to highlight a few of its major advantages.
DSCF4631.jpg

Firstly, a significant improvement in control and handling. The adjustable tie rod allows precise tuning of the suspension and steering to match individual driver preferences. It's a fantastic upgrade for enhancing confidence and stability on off-road terrain.

DSCF4620.jpg

DSCF4628.jpg

Secondly, the quality of components was impressive. The installation was almost seamless due to accurate sizing and a construction that required no additional adjustments. I particularly liked that when the tie rod ends wear out, only the original tie rod ends OEM D8570-VS42A (left) and D8520-VS42A (right) need to be replaced, saving time and resources.
DSCF4634.jpg

And of course, the kit itself. All the attachments for the steering damper and components are galvanized and have an additional polymer coating, enhancing durability and protection against corrosion.

These are just my personal impressions, and I understand everyone might have their own take. However, if you have any questions or are interested in similar enhancements for your vehicle, I'm always ready to share my experience and help find suitable options.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 12:16 PM, Vladimir BMS said:

Greetings to all forum participants!✌️
You may have seen my past posts on tuning the TLC 300 and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Since I often work on cars, this time I got my hands on the Nissan Patrol Y61 suspension.

One of the key enhancements was fitting this steering tie rod, and I'd like to highlight a few of its major advantages.
DSCF4631.jpg

Firstly, a significant improvement in control and handling. The adjustable tie rod allows precise tuning of the suspension and steering to match individual driver preferences. It's a fantastic upgrade for enhancing confidence and stability on off-road terrain.

DSCF4620.jpg

DSCF4628.jpg

Secondly, the quality of components was impressive. The installation was almost seamless due to accurate sizing and a construction that required no additional adjustments. I particularly liked that when the tie rod ends wear out, only the original tie rod ends OEM D8570-VS42A (left) and D8520-VS42A (right) need to be replaced, saving time and resources.
DSCF4634.jpg

And of course, the kit itself. All the attachments for the steering damper and components are galvanized and have an additional polymer coating, enhancing durability and protection against corrosion.

These are just my personal impressions, and I understand everyone might have their own take. However, if you have any questions or are interested in similar enhancements for your vehicle, I'm always ready to share my experience and help find suitable options.

@Vladimir BMS great write up. Thank you.

As I too am keen to improve the steering performance of my Y61 SWB I am interested to learn whether you upgraded the steering damper as well or just the rod?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bravoecho said:

@Vladimir BMS great write up. Thank you.

As I too am keen to improve the steering performance of my Y61 SWB I am interested to learn whether you upgraded the steering damper as well or just the rod?

Hello!👋
So far I have only updated the rod.

If I continue to update something, I will update the content in this thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Vladimir BMS said:

Hello!👋
So far I have only updated the rod.

If I continue to update something, I will update the content in this thread.

Thank you. I look forward to further updates.

What brand of tie rod did you end up selecting and did you consider any other brands?

• Like (+1) 1

An upgraded Steering Damper is a crucial upgrade on the Y61, and I'm glad you made the leap @Vladimir BMS. Even on the bone stock Y61 that I picked up from the showroom, there was a noticeable wobble between 82kmph and 100kmph. It would disappear above and below that range. Even regular check-ups with Nissan & Arabian Automobiles gave me no answer. And it's all over the internet as the "Y61 Death Wobble". And it's an issue that has plagued this series.

When I upgraded to the All-Terrain tires, and added front bumper spotlights, and welded protection to the front differential (a very important upgrade), it only became worse, because the additional weight further stressed the stock solution.

Everybody told me that my wheels weren't balanced and aligned and that it was to be expected because god forbid anybody sully the reputation of the Y61 ;)

An upgraded Steering Damper fixed this issue entirely for me. And I'm glad you've made the same decision.

Edited by munkybizness
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, munkybizness said:

An upgraded Steering Damper is a crucial upgrade on the Y61, and I'm glad you made the leap @Vladimir BMS. Even on the bone stock Y61 that I picked up from the showroom, there was a noticeable wobble between 82kmph and 100kmph. It would disappear above and below that range. Even regular check-ups with Nissan & Arabian Automobiles gave me no answer. And it's all over the internet as the "Y61 Death Wobble". And it's an issue that has plagued this series.

When I upgraded to the All-Terrain tires, and added front bumper spotlights, and welded protection to the front differential (a very important upgrade), it only became worse, because the additional weight further stressed the stock solution.

Everybody told me that my wheels weren't balanced and aligned and that it was to be expected because god forbid anybody sully the reputation of the Y61 ;)

An upgraded Steering Damper fixed this issue entirely for me. And I'm glad you've made the same decision.

Completely agree @munkybizness. It was one of the first upgrades I did to my car 

On 1/3/2024 at 8:21 PM, Bravoecho said:

Thank you. I look forward to further updates.

What brand of tie rod did you end up selecting and did you consider any other brands?

I just ordered from Amazon from taiko parts store, they have all sorts of different things and exterior parts for SUVs and pickups in uae.