•  
Advertise here

Driving Jeep Wrangler in 4H over 100 km/h

Mahesh_

Hello all, 

I was wondering, is it okay to drive my Jeep Wrangler in 4H part-time mode for around 5 kilometers at speeds exceeding 100 km/h? Any potential problems with that?

Yesterday, I forgot to shift back to 2H after finishing the drive and only realized it after covering an around 5 kilometers. I was also wondering why the car didn't give any alert or beep during the entire journey. Is there any issue with driving in 4H part-time for that distance and speed, especially considering the oversight?

Edited by Mahesh_
  • Like (+1) 1

It's definitely not OK to drive on tarmac in 4H Part time at 100km/h. The central differential gets locked 50:50 between the front and back. I also did that once mistakenly for about 80 km as the lever was stuck halfway before I realized the error. Lucky for me there was no damage.

Hope the same goes for you as well.

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting... so 4H in Jeeps locks center diff fully? Isn't there a "classic" 4WD mode that allows you to just drive it like any other 4x4 with power delivered to all 4 wheels (albeit with different ratios depending on center diff setup)?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Marek_was003 said:

Interesting... so 4H in Jeeps locks center diff fully? Isn't there a "classic" 4WD mode that allows you to just drive it like any other 4x4 with power delivered to all 4 wheels (albeit with different ratios depending on center diff setup)?

In Jeep Wrangler

• 4H Auto = Variable split
  • 4H Part Time = 50:50
  • Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Mahesh_ Most likely no harm done, as these stuff have a lot of margin for error. Also if you were on a straight road, it's perfectly fine, if the road had turns or a roundabout I'm sure you must have felt the car acting very heavy and that must be upsetting the drivetrain and central diff a bit more.

The best part is whatever damage has to happen, would have been done then and there, like snapping the front driveshaft at 100 kmph or while on the roundabout at 40-60 kmph speed with locking central diff.

If nothing happen, take it easy and enjoy your car.

The reason the car didn't alarm, is that in the desert you can drive above 100 kmph with a locking diff but not on the tarmac.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.