•  
Advertise here

Pajero 2008 AUX Installation and ERROR03 FIX

Most of the early GEN4 Pajeros do not have an AUX connection, so it does not allow for other music sources to be connected. Later on they started installing the AUX jack connector in the glove box. But for the people with early 4th generation i made this tutorial on how to install an AUX cable, allowing you to hook up your phone or Ipod. 

Until now i did not find the time for this install, and used a Bluetooth FM transmitter with a USB stick which i stored my MP3 files on. It's a cheap option, but sound quality was horrible and did not do justice to the nice sound quality the Pajero has with the Rockford Fosgate Setup.

Materials needed:

- Plastic spatula or knife to remove the AC vents

- Soldering gun and solder wire (tin).

- Aux cable (cable with headphone jack on it).

- Philips Screwdriver

Step 1: Remove the vent channels on both sides

Do this gently by prying the knife inbetween the vent and the soft part of the dashboard. Work your way around and take your time. It's very easy to do but do not use excessive force. On the vent channel with the warning light indicators, you'll need to unplug the connector on the backside.

IMG_6215.jpg.693561610e0052d7cdf3d4cabb8d0d22.jpgIMG_6216.jpg.1144a5853a1f7a71238ae0660cf99cbe.jpg

Step 2: Remove the head unit front panel

Put your hands on both sides of the headunit and pull towards you. The complete unit should pull out without any issues. 

Unplug the connector on the back side.

IMG_6217.jpg.891485512caa6ed918b15177734ee176.jpgIMG_6218.jpg.dc9a9e5243718a2a1540a151e95764d4.jpg

Step 2: Remove the CD unit

There are 4 Philips screws thay you need to unscrew to remove the CD unit. On the backside, remove the antenna connector and the two white connectors.

IMG_6219.jpg.6acef56b103f1d92ed08207f33a5d837.jpg

Step 3: Prepare the AUX cable

In my case this was a cable i had lying around for a long time already. On the one side you have a headphone jack, on the other side you will need to cut the wires and make them solder-ready.

IMG_6222.jpg.c283ae305f4a7726b96ac47bf0c9eddf.jpgIMG_6223.jpg.bdba2cd1660c6453e6c882d56a802b2c.jpg

You should have 3 wires: The left and right audio channel, and the ground wire. The ground wire is the wire that is wrapped around the other wires and does not have insulation. 

Step 4: Identify the connection on your head-unit.

You will have 2 white connectors. The smallest connector (18 pins) is the one that you will need to solder on. In my car there were already wires connected on these connectors, as this is the connection for future rear seat entertainment. I have cut these ones and soldered my Aux cable wire onto them.

See below the pinout for Pajero: 

Pin 14: GROUND (YELLOW EXISTING CONNECTOR)

Pin 15: AUDIO LEFT CHANNEL (BLUE EXISTING CONNECTOR)

Pin 6: AUDIO RIGHT CHANNEL ( PINK EXISTING CONNECTOR)

IMG_6225.jpg.78d36859f4a8051de662c0e1f980ab7d.jpg

Step 5: Solder all three wires properly.

IMG_6229.jpg.8d494fa38834088cf933655a337d2a5f.jpg

Once you have soldered these wires, make sure they are properly insulated, either with shrink insulation or with electrical tape. 

Once this is done, you can choose where you want to bring the AUX cable to. You can put it under the steering column or somewhere else, but in my case i drilled a small hole inside the front storage box (where you have the ID card holder) and put the AUX cable through there. 

Now put everything back in its place. The headunit and vents can be pushed back into their place easily.

The AUX is now connected to an old Android phone with 16GB SD card to store the music on. You can also put Spotify with offline download option, or just use your own phone.  Even a Bluetooth module can now be connected.

Note: To ACTIVATE AUX, you need to push on the CD button for a few seconds. 

IMG_6235.jpg.4d33ab4f64f890dc9f6b8844a682a38a.jpg

DONE. 

Overall time taken: +/- 90 mins

PS On how to fix the ERROR03 on your CD PLAYER.

Since a few months i noticed my CD player did not work anymore. There were still 3 CD's inside, but i got the ERROR03 everytime i wanted to load them. It seems this error means one of the CD's is stuck inside.

Since i was opening and removing the unit for the AUX installation i had a quick look and was able to fix the error like this:

Step 1) Remove the top panel of the CD player by removing the 4 little screws.

IMG_6220.jpg.fe1ca9498c20031776932951eda05fde.jpg

Step 2) Locate the CD on top. In my case it was stuck out of center. I gently used a screwdriver to get the CD loose and put it back into the center. I suspect it got stuck during offroading or maybe during loading/ejecting. 

IMG_6221.jpg.6c4658291df1c12a0f6fb83187c9baff.jpg

After this, the CD player worked fine again. I decided to remove all CD's and only put one inside when i actually want to listen to it. This should minimize the risk of getting stuck again. 

• Well Done (+2) 5

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

• 6 months later...

@Frederic hi dear, i have just installed android LCD and four head sets LCDs in my pajero 2012 3.8 and i am facing a weird problem..all LCD screens works fine when engine is off but as soon as i start my engine all seat header LCDs starts showing horizontal waves. The shop who installed it are also not able to fix the problem.

Can you suggest any solution or recommend any electrician?

• WOW (+2) 1

7 hours ago, Badar Tariq said:

@Frederic hi dear, i have just installed android LCD and four head sets LCDs in my pajero 2012 3.8 and i am facing a weird problem..all LCD screens works fine when engine is off but as soon as i start my engine all seat header LCDs starts showing horizontal waves. The shop who installed it are also not able to fix the problem.

Can you suggest any solution or recommend any electrician?

Hi @Badar Tariq this is a very common problem with aftermarket equipment being installed in a vehicle.

A car creates a lot of electrical interference from the moment the engine is switched on. That creates the lines on your LCD screen. 

The only few things you can experiment with is:

-the wiring grounding (use a different location for the black - wire that the unit is connected too.

- a noise filter 

https://www.amazon.ae/Isolator-Suppressor-Amplifier-Equalizer-Subwoofer/dp/B07S8VKG99/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=noise+filter&qid=1604113131&sr=8-1

-routing the wires in a different way. 

This issue will be hard to get rid off and will need a get electrician and a bit of experimentation.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 years later...

Hi @Frederic.

Thank you for your content.

I'm struggling to install a Pioneer radio on my 2010 4th Gen Pajero while I can't identify the ground wire neither the spearkers + Rockford speaker...

Already bought 4 harness connectors but none of them cover all the wiring configuration.
Already watched around 1 hour of online videos on how to identify audio wires but it seems that none of them suits to my Pajero.

I got the identification of battery (red/black), ignition (dark blue) and illumination (green/black) wires.

Here the images of the 2 plugs:

The 20pin plug:
The 18pin plug:

Have you an ideia which cables can be the ones for the speakers and Rockford subwoofer?
Alternatively where can I find a wiring diagram for this configuration?

Thank you in advance

4 hours ago, hclima said:

Hi @Frederic.

Thank you for your content.

I'm struggling to install a Pioneer radio on my 2010 4th Gen Pajero while I can't identify the ground wire neither the spearkers + Rockford speaker...

Already bought 4 harness connectors but none of them cover all the wiring configuration.
Already watched around 1 hour of online videos on how to identify audio wires but it seems that none of them suits to my Pajero.

I got the identification of battery (red/black), ignition (dark blue) and illumination (green/black) wires.

Here the images of the 2 plugs:

The 20pin plug:
The 18pin plug:

Have you an ideia which cables can be the ones for the speakers and Rockford subwoofer?
Alternatively where can I find a wiring diagram for this configuration?

Thank you in advance

Hi @hclima

thats indeed a difficult one, are you located in Dubai ? Because I’ve seen people installing those “Tesla Style” aftermarket radios in Dragon Mart, and they seem to get the full functionality. 

An easy trick to identify the speaker wires:

1) first check with a small multimeter if there’s no voltage on that particular wire. Then try to find green, purple, grey, and white wires. These are the usual colours for speakers. 

2) Now the trick is to find 1 speaker pair. This would be for example a full white wire and a white/black one. Now take a small AA battery and connect these two wires to the AA battery. You will hear a tiny “plop” sound and that way you identify which wire corresponds with which speaker. 

I’ll have a look in the meantime if I can find wiring diagram for the Pajero.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Your image for both connectors didn’t show in your topic. Can you send them again ?

Usually these are the universal colour schemes for aftermarket radios:

Yellow - Permanent 12V

Red- 12V when the ignition is on 

Blue - Remote 12V output for amplifier 

Black - Ground -

Speakers will be like this:

White and White/Black

Green and Green/black

Grey and Grey/Black

Purple and Purple/Black 

8F8C2798-8D50-4FE9-8F3B-1F495552ADD3.jpeg.31392c6fa0d39e7ecc70052ae6ec08c7.jpeg

13 hours ago, Frederic said:

Hi @hclima

thats indeed a difficult one, are you located in Dubai ? Because I’ve seen people installing those “Tesla Style” aftermarket radios in Dragon Mart, and they seem to get the full functionality. 

An easy trick to identify the speaker wires:

1) first check with a small multimeter if there’s no voltage on that particular wire. Then try to find green, purple, grey, and white wires. These are the usual colours for speakers. 

2) Now the trick is to find 1 speaker pair. This would be for example a full white wire and a white/black one. Now take a small AA battery and connect these two wires to the AA battery. You will hear a tiny “plop” sound and that way you identify which wire corresponds with which speaker. 

I’ll have a look in the meantime if I can find wiring diagram for the Pajero.

Hi @Frederic

Many thanks for your answer.

1) With the multimeter I was able to find the battery cable (red/black), illumination (green/black) and ignition (thick blue).
Tried to find the ground wire using the multimeter feature for wire continuity but no success.
Also tried the remain cables (in pairs) to try to identify the speakers with the same continuity feature. no chance...

2) Indeed, I got that this color code are the default for the majority of vehicles but mine only has the white, white/black; green, green/black; yellow, yellow/back; red, red/black and beige, beige/black...

This vehicle has been bough in Dubai for export.

You can have its characteristics through Partsouq site.

7 minutes ago, hclima said:

Hi @Frederic

Many thanks for your answer.

1) With the multimeter I was able to find the battery cable (red/black), illumination (green/black) and ignition (thick blue).
Tried to find the ground wire using the multimeter feature for wire continuity but no success.
Also tried the remain cables (in pairs) to try to identify the speakers with the same continuity feature. no chance...

2) Indeed, I got that this color code are the default for the majority of vehicles but mine only has the white, white/black; green, green/black; yellow, yellow/back; red, red/black and beige, beige/black...

This vehicle has been bough in Dubai for export.

You can have its characteristics through Partsouq site.

I found this somewhere on the web:

wolfman304_84.gif

So take a AA battery and attach the + and - to the following wires:

* Pins A and D

* Pins B and E

* Pins I and M

* Pins J and N

It could be that the Mitsubishi radios have the ground wire attached to the metal mounting frame of the radio.

In any case the ground wire can easily be made yourself by connecting a wire from the car frame and using this as your ground. any location where you have something bolted to the frame of the car would usually do (make sure there is no paint layer in between).

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Frederic said:

Your image for both connectors didn’t show in your topic. Can you send them again ?

Usually these are the universal colour schemes for aftermarket radios:

Yellow - Permanent 12V

Red- 12V when the ignition is on 

Blue - Remote 12V output for amplifier 

Black - Ground -

Speakers will be like this:

White and White/Black

Green and Green/black

Grey and Grey/Black

Purple and Purple/Black 

8F8C2798-8D50-4FE9-8F3B-1F495552ADD3.jpeg.31392c6fa0d39e7ecc70052ae6ec08c7.jpeg

Yes, my radion harness has this color code well identified the trick is to identify the right wires on the vehicle side...
here the pics that didin't updload before:

Both audio connectors (20 pin and 18 pin)

844064867_20221211_1241091.jpg.c908ce5b90a80365e33c3959f5f92c38.jpg

20pin connector where I found the battery, ignition and illumination

1216891725_20221211_1241181.jpg.f1362ca9c3100b2926ba8e1d989ca033.jpg

upper wire row827338998_20221211_1241231.jpg.71a8216de4881b74382dfec376e8a26a.jpg

lower wire row39437875_20221211_1241271.jpg.689284691c1265a3358e2c1915e20be6.jpg

18pin connector
1601721363_20221211_1241351.jpg.79161a189c029779bf10d172f38b8622.jpg

upper row
20221211_124150.jpg.f0f7aead4910af79b85041f09166150d.jpg

lower row
20221211_124143.jpg.210d3f2a20bce685538230f5e275b18a.jpg