•  
Advertise here

Pajero Suspension and wheels upgrade: Seeking Advice

I am in the process of weighing the options of going in for an upgrade on the suspension and wheels for my 2013 SWB pajero.. I had gone through the previous threads and could see the below set of possible upgrades....

1) Lift for 40 mm springs

2) Shocks upgrade

3) Upper control arm upgrade

4) Spacers for wheels

6) Wider set of wheels

Not sure if I have missed any...Seek your advise and opinion in understanding how much improvement each of the above upgrades really bring in to the drive? which of it is necessary? is it better to go for a phase wise upgrade....?

I am with the thought of going in with what is necessary only but has been recently fancying the idea getting a Dobinsons spring and shock kit...

My two cents worth (as I'm sure you already know...) none of the above listed upgrades are even remotely 'necessary' and the personal experience of every person who has gone down the various routes to personalise their rides will vary widely.

Right! having put up my caveats, here is my experience.

I fitted a 40mm lift kit being springs and shocks. At this level, there is no need to upgrade the upper arms. This allows me to hit the bumps harder and land softer (including judder bars on the road) I 100% recommend this upgrade as the car drives far better with this modification (in my opinion) and handles the dunes very well.

Stock 18 inch rims remain with no spacers but higher series tyres give a 5% increase in speed at same rpm which makes the car more economical on the road (ha ha) but had the effect of making what had been a 2nd gear climb into a 1st gear climb due to the higher gearing. When these current tyres are finished, I will go back to the stock height tyres.

Your experience may vary but this has been mine.

Cheers

Wazza

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warren Flay said:

My two cents worth (as I'm sure you already know...) none of the above listed upgrades are even remotely 'necessary' and the personal experience of every person who has gone down the various routes to personalise their rides will vary widely.

Right! having put up my caveats, here is my experience.

I fitted a 40mm lift kit being springs and shocks. At this level, there is no need to upgrade the upper arms. This allows me to hit the bumps harder and land softer (including judder bars on the road) I 100% recommend this upgrade as the car drives far better with this modification (in my opinion) and handles the dunes very well.

Stock 18 inch rims remain with no spacers but higher series tyres give a 5% increase in speed at same rpm which makes the car more economical on the road (ha ha) but had the effect of making what had been a 2nd gear climb into a 1st gear climb due to the higher gearing. When these current tyres are finished, I will go back to the stock height tyres.

Your experience may vary but this has been mine.

Cheers

Wazza

Thanks @Warren Flay.... any recommendation on a good brand to go with on the suspension...?

Edited by S Jacob