•  
Advertise here

Prado 4X4 gearing clarification

On 5/2/2018 at 7:45 PM, Rahimdad said:

@skumar83 and @Gaurav have got one part absolutely right. He was in 2WD and that was the main cause. Another cause could be the soft suspensions, as when the front of the Jeep hit the other side of the dune it was not engaged in 4x4 which put the complete load of the car in front, plus the soft suspension allowed the front bumper to dig into the sand. With the forward inertia the back of the Jeep kept moving which caused the flip. 90% though if he was in 4x4 it would not let the car flip.

Winner is @skumar83 and @Gaurav.

Next episode to follow soon. Keep watching out this space.

I am a begginer and read somewhere that you need to drive on High most of the time and switch to Low only if you have a refusal. ( I am presuming Low means 4x4 ). Does Low mean 4x4? ( I have a Prado ). So should he have changed to 4Low before negotiating the dune? Pardon me if it's a stupid question. But am just learning. :)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taimur Khan said:

I am a begginer and read somewhere that you need to drive on High most of the time and switch to Low only if you have a refusal. ( I am presuming Low means 4x4 ). Does Low mean 4x4? ( I have a Prado ). So should he have changed to 4Low before negotiating the dune? Pardon me if it's a stupid question. But am just learning. :)

Welcome @Taimur Khan There is no such thing as stupid questions.

You are correct, in the desert we always drive in 4H (4x4 wheel high gearing). We only use 4L (4x4 low gear) during recovery (self recovery or when someone is recovering your vehicle with a recovery rope).

Your Prado is always in 4H by default, but you will have a button that allow you to put it in 4L (low gear). 

Hope this clarifies your doubt :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Welcome @Taimur Khan There is no such thing as stupid questions.

You are correct, in the desert we always drive in 4H (4x4 wheel high gearing). We only use 4L (4x4 low gear) during recovery (self recovery or when someone is recovering your vehicle with a recovery rope).

Your Prado is always in 4H by default, but you will have a button that allow you to put it in 4L (low gear). 

Hope this clarifies your doubt :)

Yes this was what I understood. My doubt lies on the answer to that accident video that says he was not in 4x4 mode. I presume that vehicle has an option of 2WD mode unlike a Prado? 

9 minutes ago, Taimur Khan said:

Yes this was what I understood. My doubt lies on the answer to that accident video that says he was not in 4x4 mode. I presume that vehicle has an option of 2WD mode unlike a Prado? 

Yes in fact many off-road vehicles  have what we call a Part Time 4x4 system. During driving on tarmac they can put the vehicle in 2H so only the rear wheels are being driven. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Yes in fact many off-road vehicles  have what we call a Part Time 4x4 system. During driving on tarmac they can put the vehicle in 2H so only the rear wheels are being driven. 

@Frederic. Thank you so much. Clear now 😊

Me today . . . 

*spots a Carnity post on Prado after work*

thinks *Yes A fellow Prado owner I might be able to help!*

*Too late* @Frederichas already been and solved the queries! HAHA! 

Welcome to the Prado club @Taimur Khan, No part time 4x4'ing in a Prado :)

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Me today . . . 

*spots a Carnity post on Prado after work*

thinks *Yes A fellow Prado owner I might be able to help!*

*Too late* @Frederichas already been and solved the queries! HAHA! 

Welcome to the Prado club @Taimur Khan, No part time 4x4'ing in a Prado :)

@Rob S..thank you. Hope to meet up some day and have my Prado related questions all cleared 😁

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Taimur Khan welcome to the Prado club, i had the same doubt but soon after joining carnity it was clarified,however i have seen people using 4low on high speed using 3rd and 4th gear, i have personally not tried it,but what i have heard it gives more power to your car 😀

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Waqas Parvez said:

@Taimur Khan welcome to the Prado club, i had the same doubt but soon after joining carnity it was clarified,however i have seen people using 4low on high speed using 3rd and 4th gear, i have personally not tried it,but what i have heard it gives more power to your car 😀

And especially more money out of your pocket when you destroy your transmission....

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

HI @Taimur Khan best advice for the Prado gear selection :

Do not do anything. Prados are full tme 4x4. Just deflate and go and as @Frederic mentioned just use that switch only for recoveries. Also to get more power the trip tonic gears are enough. 

• Like (+1) 2