Advertise here

MAF issue

VCO

hi again

My car had very bad idling and fuel consumption.

After I drove ot for a while when I stop at lghts etc idle goes to almost 0 then jumps to ~1250 Rpm and this osilates all the time. It stalled only once but almost feel like stalling.

After reading in the forums I try to test my MAF sensor and disconnected it.

it is amazing I felt the difference in first 10 m. Car is much responsive and much smoother now :shock: . I drove it like 10 km, pushed it on low gears to +4000 Rpms no power loss on any level.

Even idling is much better , it still goes up and down especially if I stop and stay on gear but range is ~ 600-1000 and when I move gear to N it goes to 800 and stops there perfectly :D

so if I disconnect MAf and car runs much better that means my Maf is malfunctioning right?

Tomorrow I'll drive ~80 kms so will test it agagin and also test the fuel consumption.

I'll try to clean it when I find some suitable cleaner but is there any obvious reason not to run it disconnected?

w/o MAF you will get bad fuel mileage for sure and its not advisable. Any other Japanese car will switch off in 2 burps as you disconnect the MAF.

You fluctuation now 600 -1000 is due to AC load. Try switching off AC and it wont fluctuate. Clean the MAF with carburetor cleaner that you can get in any accessory shop and fit it back asap. While at it open the Air filter and clean it, if too dirty or turned dark then buy new one. And spray some carb cleaner on the inside mesh of Air filter neck, thats where MAF sensor sits and monitor the air flow and due to dusty of choked air filter it goes crazy. Clean clean clean.

w/o MAF you will get bad fuel mileage for sure and its not advisable. Any other Japanese car will switch off in 2 burps as you disconnect the MAF.

You fluctuation now 600 -1000 is due to AC load. Try switching off AC and it wont fluctuate. Clean the MAF with carburetor cleaner that you can get in any accessory shop and fit it back asap. While at it open the Air filter and clean it, if too dirty or turned dark then buy new one. And spray some carb cleaner on the inside mesh of Air filter neck, thats where MAF sensor sits and monitor the air flow and due to dusty of choked air filter it goes crazy. Clean clean clean.

Thanks

tomorrow hopefully I'll clean

MAF

Throttle body

idle valfe

Air filter etc so cleaning time :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...

Hi VCO, just curious to know how you measured the volt on MAF?

I have Range Rover and multi meter tool, could you please explain how do i measure the voltage as i never really fiddle with electronics. Thanks.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi VCO, just curious to know how you measured the volt on MAF?

I have Range Rover and multi meter tool, could you please explain how do i measure the voltage as i never really fiddle with electronics. Thanks.

it's quite easy

start the engine and wait till its warm then while idling take the multimeter and measure the voltage from the MAF socket;

you have to measure betwwen red & black (ground) to blue&red

10-west-air-mass-setup.jpg

for disco ref values are ~1.5 v for non cat model and 1.8 with cat

• 3 weeks later...

With regards to the same subject, lately and during last Friday drive Goldy started acting strangely when on P or N , rpm playing up and down and noticed Black smock from exhost when motor and RPM goes down and then jump up again. On other occasions the car used sometime to go Off , but then I thought from the battery and it was changed with new one . Initially at start up the Rpm jump high around 1800 +or so and after a while starts going down to settle at 1000 and I think that is just due to cold engine in the morning . When shifting to D Rpm goes and settle on around 800. On the other hand I felt lately that the car is driving itself I.e. keeping crawling while on drive yet without injecting petrol is that normal , additionally started hearing strange noise from the rear side of the car like a bee humming . Put off the engine the turned to contact and same noise was identified and it is from the petrol pump. Do you think the car is pointing at a problem that I need to address it . What do you think is it from the MAF or Petrol Pump !!!????

Hi Gas

Car which is regular in desert, MAF freaking out is pretty normal, as slightest of dust on MAF sensor freaks the amount of air passes thru it. Open the air filter box and spray generously the carburetor cleaner until car engine stalls, then wait for 5 min and start the car again. Do this 2 - 3 times and see the difference.

Slight buzzing noise over fuel pump is normal, so dont baby your Landie much. But again yes with age that fuel buzzing noise increases a bit and it ask you to change the fuel pump. Drive until it die completely. If in doubt you can check the fuel pressure on Schroeder valve in engine bay, behind engine (in RR and Disco, not sure abt defender). If pressure shows around 30 psi when engine switch is on and car not running that means its fine.