•  
Advertise here

Opinions on purchasing an LR3

Hi All,

First of all, this forum is a great initiative - thanks to the creators / moderators!

I've recently moved to Dubai and am looking to purchase my first car - I saw an LR3 at a user car dealer. It's a 2008 model, done 75k Kms and has a full service history with Al Tayer dealers. The cost is about AED 105k.

My first impression was it was a great car! Haven't owned an LR before but compared to the others (Volvo, Jeep, Ford, Pajero and Prado) this one really stood out.

However, I've heard of numerous issues with the LR3 - everyone from the dealer to the mechanic at AAA and owners complain about the fact that the LR3 is plagued with problems (suspensions, fuel pump etc.) and is at the workshop a lot. Also apparently 75k is about the time when issues start cropping up and I can expect to be fixing a lot of stuff with this car in the near future.

I wanted to hear opinions of members on the forum on a few questions as below. Thanks in advance.

1) Overall, is the LR3 really plagued with problems that can be very expensive and time-consuming to fix? More so than the other makes?

2) Is 75k really a magic figure around when I can expect to start paying a lot more for maintenance?

3) Does the dealer warranty on a used LR3 (for the first year) cover pretty much all the major components (which are also more expensive)?

4) When requiring repairs, does the car typically sit at the workshop for a lot of time (because parts are hard to find, the problem is difficult to diagnose etc.)?

5) If I were to conduct a pre-buy inspection which gave the car a clean chit (from AAA), would it be a good buy at this price?

6) Finally, there is another LR3 at 120k (2008 model) that's done 41k kms. Would this be a better buy than the 2008, 71k one?

Thanks

Buying LR is usually a rich man car in UAE, and that's why often time it serves maint in gold platter. However in reality LR is very easy to work than Mitsubishi, Ford, Jeeps. So that you have to live with it if you go LR route, but it can be assisted with many good LR garage and at reasonable price: Al Tayer (most expensive), AAA being second, A2b being third, Gulf Star being fourth.

Thanks for appreciating the good work, I am one of the old member here and feel very proud of being part of this LR hood. Please find below answer to your questions:

1) Overall, is the LR3 really plagued with problems that can be very expensive and time-consuming to fix? More so than the other makes?

--> Its not actually for LR3, or rather nothing except the Range Rover that is plagued with hi unreliability issues. If you see every thing has its cost and when you make such an intelligent and advance car you will have hi failure rate, i meant for RR. Don't worry LR3 is moderate in throwing problems after few years, just like any other car.

2) Is 75k really a magic figure around when I can expect to start paying a lot more for maintenance?

-->Not at all, these engines and cars are made for 300k+ and after 150k - 200k you really start spending more than past kms.

3) Does the dealer warranty on a used LR3 (for the first year) cover pretty much all the major components (which are also more expensive)?

--> I reckon that bit, but still double check with Al Tayer.

4) When requiring repairs, does the car typically sit at the workshop for a lot of time (because parts are hard to find, the problem is difficult to diagnose etc.)?

--> Not really, if you seek competent LR guys major stuff is same day job. Yeah that's quiet true that many LR workshop bullshit to keep car to justify their expensive bills. Its sad but true :-( for some, but not for all workshops.

5) If I were to conduct a pre-buy inspection which gave the car a clean chit (from AAA), would it be a good buy at this price?

--> Hell, Yes. AAA is like almost close to dealership here.

6) Finally, there is another LR3 at 120k (2008 model) that's done 41k kms. Would this be a better buy than the 2008, 71k one?

--> No, 105K AED 2008 with 71k kms is better compare to other. However i think its still expensive and it should be in bracket of 80-90k max.

While buying LR, always insist on Al Tayer or AAA service history as that way you are sure that previous owner has taken good care and you wont face any deferred maintenance. Once you drive LR, it will be very difficult for you to change to any other car, you will remember my words when you change to something else. Good luck, and post pics of your ride once you finalize it.