•  
Advertise here

5.0 V8 Engine Replacement

Hi all,

My V8 got cooked and it seems a replacement is the most cost effective solution rather than repair, so I'm looking for recommendation on where I can find a decent replacement in UAE that can ship to Oman. Just starting on this journey so expecting to come up for a short trip to visit the workshop. Should I be successful, then would also be looking at purchasing a full set of coolant hoses, so again looking for recommendations for this too. 

Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, marillionnut said:

Hi all,

My V8 got cooked and it seems a replacement is the most cost effective solution rather than repair, so I'm looking for recommendation on where I can find a decent replacement in UAE that can ship to Oman. Just starting on this journey so expecting to come up for a short trip to visit the workshop. Should I be successful, then would also be looking at purchasing a full set of coolant hoses, so again looking for recommendations for this too. 

Thanks

I think that won't be easy. Most second hand engines that you'll find will need to be tested in your car. I have gone through the process of replacing my engine and my workshop kept saying it was cheaper to find another engine instead of rebuilding it. After trying 3 different engines that all seem to have issues, i just bit the bullet and decided to get the original engine rebuilt. It ended up being more expensive but it gave more more comfort knowing we have seen the internals of the car.

Sharjah has lots of places with second hand engines, but unfortunately i don't have any direct leads or contacts there. 

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hi @marillionnut. Maybe the below car business can help you find a few leads, you will just need to call them individually and check with them what you need and if delivery in Oman is possible. But like @Frederic pointed out anything used does not come with any kind of guarantee and the transport cost for crossing the UAE and Oman border every time will far exceed the cost of a proper engine rebuild. Wish you luck buddy and hope to hear about the updates regarding your patient.

Hi @marillionnut welcome to Carnity and sorry to hear about your LR4 engine.

Can you share some more information on exactly what has happened to your existing engine? Is it been overheated? Crank case noise? Oil and coolant mixed? High mileage? etc.

I have had a pleasure and dis-pleasure of swapping scrap engines twice and rebuilding twice on my same old model Pajero due to its rarity.

1. First engine rebuild with shody workmanship and cheaper parts - lasted 3 months and died.
  2. Second engine swap from scrap - came with 5.5 cylinder working instead of 6 - lasted 1+ year and wasted lot of money to fix that half cylinder minor imperfection.
  3. Third engine swap - took 3 months of waiting to find - unicorn level - clean engine - costed bomb expensive and then my old mechanic bust that by installing wrong timing after 1 year of usage.
  4. So I also recently bite the bullet after seeing Fredy success story to rebuild my engine and this time with all OEM internals and with workshop who offers 25K warranty in writing for doing the rebuild.

Bottom line, if you plan to sell car with scrap engine, go for it as it will come with some level of imperfection, partial cylinder working, rattling noise from crank, tappet or rocker noise (famous for LR engines).

If you plan to keep this vehicle, get the engine rebuild "PROPERLY" to enjoy another 100-200K life on it. Go for good quality workshop who knows there stuff and happy to offer 20-25K kms warranty in writing. It will be double the cost of scrap swap or maybe more but eventually you will be happy than doing the same stuff over and over again.

Once you share little more background on current engine status, then we can advise you roughly how intense job is going to be.

@Barry also has some colorful experience in rebuilding Range Rover V8 - when he termed them as a chocolate engines.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.