•  
Advertise here

My Review of Tazer JL Mini

Looper

Tazer JL Mini is a gateway bypass module that is connected to the SGW connectors in the Jeep, so the OBDII port is open, the mini is tucked in out of site under the dash and nothing lugged into the OBDII port. This device helps to re-program some aspects of the Jeep as well as change some features on the fly.

These days it is available locally, but I have had a Tazer JL Mini since November 2021 & I bought my unit from Quadratec.com. Later I found it on Amazon.ae. for less than the cost of the unit on Quadratec.com and alas I overpaid for my unit as I not only paid for the unit but for courier and custom duties.

Anyways, I have used it on my Jeep somewhat irregularly. The first time I used it during an offroad drive, it seemed to me that the computer on my car went haywire, upshifting regularly but perhaps it was just the heat (It was an afternoon drive in Abu Dhabi). But these days it is a lot more reliable for me.

The Tazer JL Mini can be used for changing settings such as tire size, gear ratios etc. as well as enabling/disabling cameras, lights etc. Basically, if you change anything that needs an update to the onboard computer this can be used to make that change. See the user guide here for a full list of settings.

After settings have been changed it can either be removed or left onboard the car. When it is left onboard it enables some live features. See the user guide here for a full list of live features. The ones I used a lot are:

1. hold brakes at a red light
  2. activate backup camera when turn signals are used (before my head unit upgrade)
  3. TC Kill – turn off traction control, stability control and ABS and it maintains even when you move to 4 Low and back. Normally you must redo the "Disable Traction Control" plus 6 second hold to disable ESC. It also disables ABS which is not possible normally. 
  4. There are some other features such as Winch Mode, Anchor mode, cool down mode etc. that are useful but haven't been used much.

One important thing to remember is the Marrying and Unmarrying process that needs to be followed meticulously. In the JL Wrangler Forums and in YouTube videos they mention that this device needs to be taken off before sending the vehicle at the Jeep Service Center, but here they did not seem to care much.  

Now AMA about Tazer JL, perhaps I can answer.

Edited by Looper
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

25 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

This element of turning trac control off every time switch to 4H is so irritating in Jeep. 

Does it affect the warranty?

Live Functions do not change anything (unless you are changing the settings like tire size etc.) on the car and works only when it is connected so it does not alter any warranty conditions. Having said that my interaction with Jeep Service Center has been that they are nonchalant on the matter. 

• Like (+1) 2

I was reading all to find the function where it adds additional hp after all the required inputs, adjustments, and updates.

Or at least a function to climb Faya from the right side.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 1 year later...

@Looper - Just reviving this old thread! I note you don't mention air bag deactivation within TC Kill. Is it possible to include this so it functions identical to an actual kill switch? I want to avoid air bags deploying which although I understand to be very rare, is expensive if it happens.

@Josh S it doesn’t kill Air Bags on JL

Following is the text from its manual:

Full traction control disable (excl. 4XE):
PRESS AND HOLD THE TRACTION BUTTON FOR 5 SECONDS to fully disable TC and ABS. Shut off and restart the Jeep to reenable. This will force the 392 into 2WD. Tap again to restore 4WD.