•  
Advertise here

du vs Etisalat Network for Remote Offroading

Patrick

Hi everyone, I was wondering what the best mobile network is for off-roading, especially for the hilly areas in RAK, Fujairah, etc.

"Common wisdom" says Etisalat is the best network in the UAE, but is that still true in 2023? Is du far behind?

I know there are coverage maps available online, however I'm more interested in your personal experience. For example, have you been offroading with other people in the same car and consistently found that one network beats another? 

I'm looking at a mobile plan from Virgin (=du network) and was wondering if it's "safe" to sign up for it or whether I should stick to Etisalat. Is the du network still behind Etisalat?

Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Hi everyone, I was wondering what the best mobile network is for off-roading, especially for the hilly areas in RAK, Fujairah, etc.

"Common wisdom" says Etisalat is the best network in the UAE, but is that still true in 2023? Is du far behind?

I know there are coverage maps available online, however I'm more interested in your personal experience. For example, have you been offroading with other people in the same car and consistently found that one network beats another? 

I'm looking at a mobile plan from Virgin (=du network) and was wondering if it's "safe" to sign up for it or whether I should stick to Etisalat. Is the du network still behind Etisalat?

Thanks!

I recently switched from Virgin to Etisalat for this reason.

i will never forget that @Mario Cornejoreceived MOI's calling in the middle of a bowl in al Quaa where my pathfinder shut down!

Virgin is more cost effective, but the price for it is the poor and slow customer service.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Cha said:

I recently switched from Virgin to Etisalat for this reason.

i will never forget that @Mario Cornejoreceived MOI's calling in the middle of a bowl in al Quaa where my pathfinder shut down!

Virgin is more cost effective, but the price for it is the poor and slow customer service.

Hey Charlie @Cha all indications were for you to change the ride not the network provider 😀😀 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Patrick said:

Thanks!

Hi @PatrickI have been using Etisalat and have got a pretty good coverage everywhere, except in a few cases where you are hiking inbetween mountains (where no provider signal would reach anyway) and some large bowls in Liwa where the signal dropped.

If you are asking this with regards to making phone calls i think Etisalat is fine.

If this is related to using your 4G signal to access your mapping software such as Google Maps, GaiaGPS, or others, i would strongly recommend to install GaiaGPS and download the offline sattelite maps. That way you are always sure that you can navigate without having a mobile network (i use a phone with Gaiagps, without SIM card whenever i go offroad).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

anecdotally my virgin reception seems to go back to 3G/voice only as soon as getting into the dunes.

diff phones have deiffernet antenna designs/receiption as well.. so not as simple as 'which provider best'

• Like (+1) 3

Some guy told me that one of his customers got the approval to install a mini cell site into his car so he always has signal 

Crazy huh 

• Like (+1) 4

Etisalat used to be the best one, but now all providers accessing Etisalat infrastructure more and more so they all are in a similar coverage spectrum.

However in the remotest of locations, I have seen if you climb a dune or go across a mountain that is not obscure from all sides, you will have signals.

I am using Etisalat for a long time and never had a signal issue after 5 min of effort in obscure locations.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I don’t recommend relying on network connection for maps and navigation specially if you are venturing on unfamiliar remote areas.. ensure you have offline maps downloaded and test it before stepping 🛞 on the sand

For voice, all will fail at a point in time and you should rely on your off-roading skills and experience and teamwork.. the very reason we always advise against venturing solo or without the right experience, support team, and appropriate tools

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Thanks everyone for the amazing feedback! I'm with Etisalat at the moment and I guess I will stick with it (relatively new resident here). Will look at mapping apps too, at the moment I am just using offline maps on Google maps, but that is of course wildly inadequate as no offline satellite/topo type maps 😃

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1