•  

Abu Dhabi desert challenge / Dakar

Hi all,

I stumbled upon the Abu Dhabi desert challenge (https://abudhabidesertchallenge.com/ - Feb 25 to Mar 2) the other day and I'd like to go see it with the family.

image.png.43b54323993f81eca108a060166e820b.png

Does the club organize any days out like this? I'd love to go and pitch up somewhere with some shade, drinks, and a picnic and see the cars competing.

I would also love to go and see Dakar Rally at some point with the same plan (may be next year?). It would be a shame to miss it while living so close by!

Thoughts? Maybe an organized trip?

Edited by Matt - monkeywrench
Dates

Hey @Matt - monkeywrench we organize Liwa drives as regular off-road drives during the winter. But to go and spot this challenge or Dakar as a club is also a good idea 👍 

Don’t underestimate the area and don’t go alone in this type of desert, it’s remote terrain. Unless you can spot the convoys perhaps from closer to the  road or at certain crossings where you have salt flats.

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Yep, I wasn't going to venture out on my own, all the more reason I was hoping for something organized 👍 I'd love to join for Liwa if I can 

Looking forward to see if we can get something planned!

Edited by Matt - monkeywrench
Liwa
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

4 hours ago, Frederic said:

Hey @Matt - monkeywrench we organize Liwa drives as regular off-road drives during the winter. But to go and spot this challenge or Dakar as a club is also a good idea 👍 

Don’t underestimate the area and don’t go alone in this type of desert, it’s remote terrain. Unless you can spot the convoys perhaps from closer to the  road or at certain crossings where you have salt flats.

one of the hardest parts of following along stages with this or dakar is not watching out for, and keeping out of the way of participants in the race... but keeping well away from other spectators flying over and around dunes without keeping on eye on where they going..... quite the obstacle course :-)

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use