Tesla Cybertruck or Hummer EV or Rivian R1S or R1T

Rahimdad

When this Electric vehicles started popping up to reality I was really put off by them, I did not even give them a chance. I was in love with my V6 and V8 and could not imagine myself being caught with and Electric Vehicle. The past couple of years have however changed the way I think, I was not all that interested when the Tesla Cybertruck got announced, but when I first saw the Rivian R1T it caught my imagination and compelled me to follow the progress of this amazing truck. More recently the Hummer EV has caught my attention and I am caught struggling to imagine which one I would go for if in a few years time I had no option but to go Electric.

Tesla Cybertruck to me looks ugly and when on the launch event the windows of the truck were smashed by Elon Musk who claimed these would not shatter, I had little faith in these. Plus the bad press that Tesla easily attracts like the problems incorporated with the different Tesla models and the very poor after sales service for these vehicles I am put off by the Tesla name altogether. Although it is a joy to watch a Model S or Model X to be sighted on the UAE roads, but lots of negative media kind of puts me off the Tesla vehicles. That being said, I do understand they were the first company to launch the Electric cars and have the best infrastructure in place to charge these vehicles.

Rivian R1T was the first one I saw a couple of years back they have not gone overboard with their design like Cybertruck, it looks like a proper truck and has some elements to it which give it a unique look like the stadium type lighting. Extra storage space between the passenger cabin and cargo bed is an awesome spot for a quick lie down and rest before continuing on long trip. It also impresses me with the skateboard platform on which the battery pack lies and is secure from any bumps on the way as these battery packs are dangerous to catch fire or explode if ruptured. Another thing that impresses me is the range on these vehicles along with the towing capacity. Surely these cannot carry as much load as a battery pack can never give the kind of pulling power a combustion engine provides, thus reducing the range by a big margin if you are towing heavy stuff. I guess that defeats the purpose of a truck, unless you just want to look good. I recently saw the renditions of the Rivian R1S which is just as impressive, however is a full 7 seater SUV rather than being a truck.

Hummer EV is something that caught my eye this year and seriously got me thinking as to which one I would put my money on if I had a chance. The Hummer brand was discontinued during the last recession as America lost its appetite for a huge SUV or truck running V8 as the trends changed. Hummer remained a brand for the wealthy who wanted to make an impression on entry rather than use it for what it was meant to be for, off-roading. The Hummer EV brought back a lot of amazing memories and one of my friend had a Hummer H2 supercharged and rode it like it should be driven, jumping dunes and destroying any trees in the way. It was fun to watch, but a nightmare to recover if ever he got himself into any situation. As per the original figures released to the press it seems very capable and definitely more iconic than the Cybertruck.

So my first choice if money is not an issue would be the iconic Hummer EV as I think it looks good, Chevrolet has some infrastructure in place for EV vehicles and reliable after sales serve with their service centers spread right across UAE. However my heart still pounds for the Rivian R1T if they have proper support and infrastructure in place here in the UAE. Let me know which one you would prefer and why?

• Like (+1) 3

I am impressed by Hummer EV with its crabwalk , hands-free driving and 1000 HP! Also GMC will bring its experience to back it up. 
Rivian is next although it is a plus on price compared to the Hummer and has Fords investment.

Sorry but don’t like Tesla’s shape as it is too futuristic for my liking.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use