•  
Advertise here

Authorised Dealer vs Modified Cars

Looper

Some of us bought their new Jeeps in stock configuration from the authorized dealer and set out to modify gradually over time choosing the right parts and accessories. While others prefer to buy fully pre-built and modified cars from either of those two garages in Al Quoz.

I did not intend to drive off-road when I bought my car. When the salesperson asked if I intend to off-road, I gave him a resounding NO, because a) I did not even know what Off-Roading meant at that time b) because we were buying it as a school ferrying vehicle (hence the color) for my wife to drop my son to the school

As I never had to compare these options, I never had any thoughts on this but want to know from those who have bought a new Jeep and had compared these options - what was your thought process and why you decided to buy from either authorized dealer or from one the off-road garage.

Edited by Looper
  • Like (+1) 2

don't drive like its your last one.

I bought mine from Authorized dealer. I was offered service contract and got to see the different variants. I had visited one of the off-road garage but was not convinced as they were offering the modifications as per the brands of shocks and tires they deal with.  After buying it from the authorized dealer I could pick and choose with my requirements. But did off-roading for 5 months without any modifications and took slow steps with the modification. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread. I bought my first Jeep fully customized with 35 inch beadlock tyres and I didn't know anything about off-roading. The set-up looked good and the shocks (radflo) were amazing but I also had some issues with it. Wheels and tyres were rubbing from time to time, some death wobble and I felt that I was missing power others had. 

Due to an accident I bought a new Jeep and followed a different approach I bought a stock sport and got some very cheap Rubicon Take-offs (shocks, springs and wheels) which gave me around 1 inch lift compared to standard. I drove this set-up for a year without any issues and was investing my money in quality of life mods like an onboard compressor, quick deflation valves, rigid lights etc. During different drives I was testing different suspension options (as a passenger) to understand which options are out there and if I am missing sth. not upgrading. After one year I am now driving "my set-up" which I have tailored to my needs mostly driven by experience I've made during the carnity drives. Would the initial set-up be enough to have fun, yes for sure! Do I drive my current set-up to the edge - probably sometimes. Do I need it? Definitely not! 

Attached the important mods with reason: 

onboard compressor (spontaneous deflating, security reason in case of accident the heaviest part is connected with the car) 
Quick deflate valves (I lost a valve during a night barbecue before, shitty experience)
Offroad lights (every torch is better than the standard jeep halogen lights) 
Terraflex suspension lift (had the feeling I needed some more ground clearance, following alexraptor)
FoxShocks 2.0 remote reservoir (build momentum, less jumping - I wanted to have a soft solution) 
Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer (I had some issues in the left shoulder which is gone now) 
Terraflex spacers to fit 33inch tyres with stock rims (I am running on BFG-AT, I actually wanted to have the Cooper tyres which were sold out and I needed them quickly)

I think there is no right or wrong and my approach was the more expensive one for sure. But only if you try stock and you have a comparison with others and your previous build you really know what you need. I am happy to offer test drives and further information about the experience I've made so far. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1