•  
Advertise here

Infiniti QX56 offroad review

On 1/28/2022 at 12:13 PM, Krishna R said:

Hello guys,

I just bought a 2009 infiniti qx56 for strictly offroading only. Reading this thread looks like the the car is too heavy for spirited offroading. 

The car has done 200K kms but the Engine and Tranny are super smooth. Changed the bushes for suspension and differentials + the engine mountings and it drives like a dream. Taking it for my first offroad session tomorrow.

Planning to offroad it for this winter and replace it with a lighter SWB SUV for the next winter. Your opinions are welcome!

Update on the 2009 qx56 after 5 newbie drives.

The car is quite powerful and pulls its weight. The front bumper cracked at a few places while nose diving and the rear keeps getting bent. (removed rear bumper and trimmed the front. Haven't driven it yet after that.)

Fishtails a lot during side sweeps. After 5 drives, i feel this can be managed once i get more skilled.

Very low center of gravity - gives great confidence.

Mods on my bucket list,

* A/T tires
* Bash plate (bumper trim exposes a lot of underbody)
* Find out a way to disable ABS. It makes me scream in my head while nose diving.
* Switch to Armada rear shocks once the lovely air suspension quits on me.

Planning to continue to fewbie with it. Let's see if this can take me to fewbie plus.

Long term plan - swap this engine into an xterra :) 145hp/ton

@desertdude @Frederic @Zixuan Huang - Charlie

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Krishna R said:

Update on the 2009 qx56 after 5 newbie drives.

The car is quite powerful and pulls its weight. The front bumper cracked at a few places while nose diving and the rear keeps getting bent. (removed rear bumper and trimmed the front. Haven't driven it yet after that.)

Fishtails a lot during side sweeps. After 5 drives, i feel this can be managed once i get more skilled.

Very low center of gravity - gives great confidence.

Mods on my bucket list,

* A/T tires
* Bash plate (bumper trim exposes a lot of underbody)
* Find out a way to disable ABS. It makes me scream in my head while nose diving.
* Switch to Armada rear shocks once the lovely air suspension quits on me.

Planning to continue to fewbie with it. Let's see if this can take me to fewbie plus.

Long term plan - swap this engine into an xterra :) 145hp/ton

@desertdude @Frederic @Zixuan Huang - Charlie

I can make Pathfinder to IM, surely you can do too with more the powerful QX56.

Killer switch for ABS/Traction control is an easy mod, you can get it done with bash plate. Also when they do bash plate, have a look at front tow points, Nissan doesnt always do good tow points. you need minimum 3 bolts for one tow point, considering the weight of QX56.

Fishtail you will learn to manage in FB/+ levels. when you can control fishtailing, its fun to fishtail sometimes 😛

Pathfinder R51 had the same setup of Armada/QX56 - VK56DE+5AT in US, for 5000+ cars only ☹️,

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1