•  
Advertise here

Cleaning Air Filter - Newer Version Pajero 2020

Hi all, I keep reading that it is important to clean the air filter after every drive. Anyone here has the experience with a newer version (2020) on how to clean the filter step by step? As of now, I attempted to open the air filter case but seems to me in the newer versions it is not straight forward without having to unscrew certain pieces. Any help is appreciated. Thanks 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Merdinian said:

Hi all, I keep reading that it is important to clean the air filter after every drive. Anyone here has the experience with a newer version (2020) on how to clean the filter step by step? As of now, I attempted to open the air filter case but seems to me in the newer versions it is not straight forward without having to unscrew certain pieces. Any help is appreciated. Thanks 

I was not aware that the 2020 had a newer model. Could you perhaps post some pictures ?

Usually the filter box is kept closed with a few clips that you can easily unclip and then remove the filter element. 

Then you can gently tap it on the ground to remove the sand, or you can use compressed air as well, just be careful not to damage the filter itself. 

And of course, I would recommend replacing it every 20,000kms.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hi Frederic, thanks for the quick reply. Will try to elaborate more through video or photos once I leave the office. It might be a user error (me) :) but better safe than sorry. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hi @Frederic, what I meant is that the maximum I can move the lid is as displayed in the pictures as the connector does not allow for movement. Again, admittedly, I’m  not that savvy when it comes to this  but that’s the maximum I’m able to move it. Any advice? 

902A88C8-232E-4232-A402-D398A6723A0C.jpeg

1C2CAEF3-4DD2-488D-9C08-80E684F2C441.jpeg

6DC1CB3A-DC88-4EE5-BE8F-7DAC0FCFE87F.jpeg

Edited by Mike Merdinian
  • Like (+1) 2

Hi @Mike Merdinianyou can unplug the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) this is the one with the grey connector, just push on the small lever of the connector and it will easily come off.

After that, you can open the lid further and take out the filter element. If you gently tap the filter element on the pavement, 90% of the sand will fall out. A bit of compressed air from your tyre compressor can also help the cleaning.

Afterwards, just put the filter element back, make sure the box is closed properly, and plug in the MAF sensor again, and you are good to go :) 

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

• 8 months later...

Just be careful when blowing the filter out with compressed air, the filter material is easily damaged and will allow larger particles through.

@Frederic advice to give it a gentle tap to remove the majority of the sand is perfect.  If it needs anymore best to replace the filter, cheep insurance.

p.s, of the three guys I know who have blown Pajero engines in dubai, two where from sand and both had cold air intakes fitted. The third was the screws from the intake butterfly’s falling in to engine.

• Like (+1) 2