•  
Advertise here

If it leaks is must be a Jeep

As the old adage goes , if it’s leaking it must still have oil in it.

After yesterdays drive while adjusting the steering wheel angle (thanks @Mark B for showing how to do this ) for the 5th time on @Benjamin Jeep Wrangler JL 18. 

I notice a few drops of oil on the ground, upon further inspection I noticed a coating of oil around the oil pan and front of the crankcase. 

I looked over the top of the engine around the filter and cooler couldn’t identify any leak. Checked dipstick and oil level is good, if maybe overfilled. I have an idea of where it’s coming from and suspect it might be worse under load and climbing.

it’s certainly we as there are no other spots on the driveway except where it was parked yesterday.

This morning the leak is still present but only a few drops.

Booked appointment at agency still have one service left under contract. 

Any fellow wrangler owners here seen this type of leak before.

IMG_6496.jpeg

IMG_6493.jpeg

IMG_6494.jpeg

IMG_6491.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3

From pics it seems the crank seal is leaking and it will only leak when the engine is running. If it's reached the dripping stage, you shouldn't drive and get it checked and changed at the earliest.

• Like (+1) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

We got it booked in for a check on Wednesday m,  but I had a chance for a closer inspection today.  3 things discovered.

1. the other location we park the jeep has oil spots , so it’s been leaking at least since Swehan 3 weeks ago.  Oil level is still good.

2. Running paper up around the crank there is no oil. Only on the underside. 

2. Running finger around oil pan has small oil seep everywhere including the drain plug. 

im hopeful it’s just the oil pan gasket , good to have another jeep in the driveway to reference.  Interestingly there seems to be a mix of fasteners holding the pan on the wrangler vs uniform fastener type on the gladiator.

Last pic is of the newer gladiator 

IMG_6514.jpeg

IMG_6511.jpeg

IMG_6507.jpeg

IMG_6516.jpeg

Edited by Gary F
  • Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Mark B said:

Hey Gary, was about to say maybe pan gasket, it’s a common issue so it’s very likely 

Yes, if the crank area is dry and the oil pan area is wet, if cud be the pan gasket, which might have hit hard on the dune while crossing. That's a lot easier and cheaper fix.

• Like (+1) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Gary F normal story with Jeep. Oil leaks but nothing to worry. I had faced this issue and i was informed that it was just the seal that was cracked.  Also you may face water pump issue as the current JL and JT have this issues occurring. I got mine replaced twice in 3 months under warranty. Jeep is good until the warranty is there. Once warranty gets over be ready to shell out some bucks.  

• Like (+1) 4

Yeah it’s strange, we are second owner but history is all agency.

54 minutes ago, Vaibhav said:

@Gary F normal story with Jeep. Oil leaks but nothing to worry. I had faced this issue and i was informed that it was just the seal that was cracked.  Also you may face water pump issue as the current JL and JT have this issues occurring. I got mine replaced twice in 3 months under warranty. Jeep is good until the warranty is there. Once warranty gets over be ready to shell out some bucks.  

Indeed  jeep bucks should have their own currency 

Edited by Gary F
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s not a random bolt it’s a location stud, helps you position the oil pan and you put on that one bolt to hold it in place. Maybe check the torque on the bolts first, jeep are notorious for not following their own torque specs! For example If you have clicking when you steer that’s the torque in the ball joints very common issue always loose lol 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Vaibhav said:

same... my pump had to be replaced as soon as i started driving offroad 😆😭, plus now there is this shaking am experiencing and the guy says we now need to change cylinders? my last service and I got quoted 9k of repairs.. but it could also be because the only parts of the car I knew till that service were tires, steering wheel and where the oil and water for wipers go and I still dont remember what they called 🙊

Edited by Misha Puskar
  • Like (+1) 3