•  
Advertise here

Sound proofing the Paj

As most of you Dakar drivers would know the road noise in the cabin of the Pajero gets up there at times, has anyone put in sound deadening. What areas had the most effect.

I have done the floor and will start the rear 1/4 panels next. Plan is to do the doors last.

The rear section had no sound proofing at all, that seams to have made the biggest difference so far, with the passenger foot well close behind

IMG_3559.jpeg

IMG_3558.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

This is my dream project too. I am not sure when I will come to around to do it for my jeep. Are you going to add foam over this sound deadening layer?

• Like (+1) 3

don't drive like its your last one.

1 minute ago, Looper said:

This is my dream project too. I am not sure when I will come to around to do it for my jeep. Are you going to add foam over this sound deadening layer?

Possibly I will over the tunnel and the fire wall, will see what sort of difference I get with this first. Just doing the rear cabin has made a big difference 

• Like (+1) 4

Just done the last of the drivers side foot well and did both doors, wow what a difference, huge change in the cabin sound. 

There was zero sound proofing in the doors, I think this is the biggest area for sound In the cabin. Definitely will do this on all cars from now on.

its so quite at 120, haven’t done the rear 1/4 panels or the rear door yet but the loudest noise now is the air con vents now.

IMG_3606.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

At 120, on the same road at the same time of day I was getting 82-85db

today after the insulation I got a average of 71 -74db.

definite improvement, can still hear noise from rear wheel wells so that’s on the list next.

IMG_3609.png.375a1d4fb5cad29a5cdb0f0819e07e49.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1

Fantastic job !

which material did you use ? This is adhesive butyl ?

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

6 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Fantastic job !

which material did you use ? This is adhesive butyl ?

Used this stuff, probably better out there but it seams to do a good job, have used two boxes for the SWB. Probably need another half box to finish the rear 1/4 panels.

IMG_3612.jpeg.520d5bb9d04b09caa27c6bb306e694e1.jpeg

Edited by Stumpy Paj
  • Like (+1) 2

Done this, the reason I bash my Jeep more now than my LC100, cos the car feels a bit more Lexus quiet now 😂

Rear Wheel Wells, Front Firewall, Front Doors and Roof Liner are the best places to reduce outside noise to the driver. I actually created a Word doc for the garage with a list of example applications, lemme see if I can upload that here...

29-C1-ED9-F-59-B6-439-D-8-A44-B3-A5-DE96

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/30/2023 at 8:40 PM, Stumpy Paj said:

Just done the last of the drivers side foot well and did both doors, wow what a difference, huge change in the cabin sound. 

There was zero sound proofing in the doors, I think this is the biggest area for sound In the cabin. Definitely will do this on all cars from now on.

its so quite at 120, haven’t done the rear 1/4 panels or the rear door yet but the loudest noise now is the air con vents now.

IMG_3606.jpeg

fantastic. changed to AT tyres and now the noise is quiet noticable in cabin. will have to give this a try!

• 5 months later...

hey @Stumpy Paj, how's your experience after half a year? Do you feel that this insulation did the job? How does it feel when rains? My swb is loud, but when it's raining I feel almost as if I was driving with rear windows open, that's how much "rain"/water splash noise gets in...