•  
Advertise here

Benefits of tank in an onboard compressor

Alphin Aloor

After bashplates, infotainment and some lights on my y61, i'm moving to the next step in my modification journey - an onboard compressor.

I actually have no issues with my dragon mart golden camel - using it for ~3 years now and it pumps faster than most petrol pumps.

However, an onboard arb twin seems like a more integrated and cleaner solution long-term.

I would like some advice on the benefits of having a tank connected to the compressor.

• is it faster?
  • do you always leave it on? air on demand?
  • where to position the tank and the compressor?

Thanks 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphin Aloor said:

After bashplates, infotainment and some lights on my y61, i'm moving to the next step in my modification journey - an onboard compressor.

I actually have no issues with my dragon mart golden camel - using it for ~3 years now and it pumps faster than most petrol pumps.

However, an onboard arb twin seems like a more integrated and cleaner solution long-term.

I would like some advice on the benefits of having a tank connected to the compressor.

• is it faster?
  • do you always leave it on? air on demand?
  • where to position the tank and the compressor?

Thanks 

The ARB onboard twin is definitely a nice setup for any offroader and takes away the hassle of using an external compressor.

If you compare with your big red dragon mart compressor, i do not believe it will be faster, but you save some time in not having to setup the connections and battery clamps.

Most ARB built-in models use a auto-shutoff, so it stops pumping when there is no flow. I think this is a good option to have. 

I have not seen anyone using the tank. Most use the ARB twin model mounted underneath the seat or in the back, without the tank.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

9 minutes ago, Frederic said:

I have not seen anyone using the tank. Most use the ARB twin model mounted underneath the seat or in the back, without the tank.

I think @Davie Chasehas one. Please let me know your experience with the tank,

• Like (+1) 3

There are 3 different items to consider for an ARB.

1. ARB Twin Compressor itself (a base set up) - Having this means that you have graduated as a seasoned off-roader and is a proud display of the same. As @Frederic has already mentioned it is more convenient with regard to all the wiring etc. It is definitely built better than the dragon mart compressor. It also has a 100% duty cycle. Many use a 4-way hose to fill up all four tires simultaneously. While i bought the 4-way hose it now lives in @DP1011's jeep.
  2. A Tank - There are two options here. The ARB tank will be more expensive and alternatively you can use Via Air as well. it is approx. AED 1500-2500 additional cost. The benefit of the tank is that it reduces the time it takes to fill tires and puts slightly less pressure on the compressor. Another plus is that you can use air tool with it. I was trying to do it in car, but it's puny trunk doesn't allow it.
  3. A Bluetooth Module: I have it. I use it to set up the desired pressure on the phone and it helps to get correct pressure on all 4 tires without me having to monitor or run around to disconnect the air hose from the tire. I will recommend it for its convenience. Will cost about 1000.
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

@Frederic @Looper agree with what you guys have said @Alphin Aloor the tank was a great addition for me on several fronts, all of which Looper has alluded to, it is most definitely quicker ,especially when filling all 4 tires at once, it is much better when using Air tools especially my air jack as you need volume of air for these, and it saves the compressor as it is not working so hard. I have yet to fit blue tooth as the financial manager at home needs some respite from all of the other purchases for my not so cheap hobby lol :) but I am sure it will come :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Having said that, my neighbor sold his truck yesterday which had a twin-ARB mounted inside, and he removed it. If anyone is interested in this one (perhaps used less than 10times), send me a message on 0 5 6 5 0 4 2 6 3 2 

I think he will be open for a good deal.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I have the golden camel(dragon mart) onboard in my X. Faster, cheaper and apparently not reliable (not my exp).Does the job for me! Ensure you have a circuit breaker so as to not fry the other electronics in the car.

ARB - expensive but reliable, a bit slower compared to double camel. Comes with warranty. Air tank helps with air tools, especially when changing a flat tyre. Bluetooth module seems to be an overkill. But this comes from the guy who deflates by screwing out the core (rather than buying quick deflator valves)

In this hobby, there is no limit for mods and upgrades. We stop when the wallet runs dry or when the passion dies out or most importantly, when common sense kicks in and reminds us whats actually required.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Agree with all of above.

3 hours ago, Krishna R said:

In this hobby, there is no limit for mods and upgrades. We stop when the wallet runs dry or when the passion dies out or most importantly, when common sense kicks in and reminds us whats actually required.

Reliability and safety is prime in my eyes for off-roading.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

5 hours ago, Davie Chase said:

@Frederic @Looper agree with what you guys have said @Alphin Aloor the tank was a great addition for me on several fronts, all of which Looper has alluded to, it is most definitely quicker ,especially when filling all 4 tires at once, it is much better when using Air tools especially my air jack as you need volume of air for these, and it saves the compressor as it is not working so hard. I have yet to fit blue tooth as the financial manager at home needs some respite from all of the other purchases for my not so cheap hobby lol :) but I am sure it will come :)

@Davie Chasedoes the compressor shut off automatically when the tank fills up and the output is closed? This theoretically means that you can leave the compressor turned on all the time right?

5 hours ago, Looper said:

1. A Bluetooth Module: I have it. I use it to set up the desired pressure on the phone and it helps to get correct pressure on all 4 tires without me having to monitor or run around to disconnect the air hose from the tire. I will recommend it for its convenience. Will cost about 1000.

@Looper does this work with a TPMS inside the tyre?

• Like (+1) 1

Imagine it as similar to setting tire pressure on the fuel station air pump. It periodically checks the pressure in the tire and stops when reached. You set the pressure on the control device using your phone which is connected via Bluetooth hence the name Bluetooth module. It’s an additional control module attached to the ARB twin pump. You don’t need TPMS of the car for controlling pressure.

To answer the other question, yes for the first part - it automatically shutdown when there is no airflow. Which is the case with the twin pump without air tank as well. However the best practice would be to swich it off. The connection is 99% air tight. That 1% will keep the pump active unnecessarily. 

• Like (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.