Advertise here

Pajero radiator replacement

I have a sneaking suspicion that the top tank of my radiator has cracked 🤬, have a coolant stain that reappears next to the overflow spout.

has anyone changed their own radiator in the paj? Any tips or tricks?

my main concern is the transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator. Can you just clamp off the transmission lines so you only have to top off the transmission? How much fluid did you lose out of the transmission?

I have a radiator so will tackle this today or tomorrow, have new hoses as well to change.

thank you

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Stumpy Paj said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the top tank of my radiator has cracked 🤬, have a coolant stain that reappears next to the overflow spout.

has anyone changed their own radiator in the paj? Any tips or tricks?

my main concern is the transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator. Can you just clamp off the transmission lines so you only have to top off the transmission? How much fluid did you lose out of the transmission?

I have a radiator so will tackle this today or tomorrow, have new hoses as well to change.

thank you

Perhaps a temporary hack, but would some JB-Weld do the trick to fix that little overflow spout ? 

some other solutions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ew4dxvLjA

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 minute ago, Frederic said:

Perhaps a temporary hack, but would some JB-Weld do the trick to fix that little overflow spout ? 

some other solutions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ew4dxvLjA

Thanks, Thought of that but the whole top of the radiator is crazed, I think it’s only a matter of time until it goes completely. The crack is in the main body of the tank just below the overflow spout/radiator cap.

Edited by Stumpy Paj
  • Sad (0) 1

1 hour ago, Stumpy Paj said:

Thanks, Thought of that but the whole top of the radiator is crazed, I think it’s only a matter of time until it goes completely. The crack is in the main body of the tank just below the overflow spout/radiator cap.

IMG_4983.jpeg.9e4da47b75150a13a616e010ada92b0c.jpeg

Use M-Seal on all cracks or doubtful areas until you replace the whole radiator. M-Seal will hold twice the radiator pressure and heat, we have tested M-Seal on emergency repairs many times.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

7 minutes ago, Stumpy Paj said:

IMG_4983.jpeg.9e4da47b75150a13a616e010ada92b0c.jpeg

That discolouration is indeed the plastic that's giving in i think....

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I think it should have a thin metal clip on the rubber hose, which may be causing a small leak and underneath plastic showing the coolant sediments.

To be 100% sure, remove that hose when the car is cool and give it a clean with a brush under that pipe to investigate if the top tank is leaking (then go with M-Seal) or rubber hose needs metal clip.

image.png

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.