Full Day Fewbie Desert Drive - Bu Tais Tree Dune Exploration - Abu Dhabi - 04 Feb 2024

We request every member that joins this drive to go through the information below and strictly follow these guidelines, etiquette and responsibilities.

MUST READ AND COMPLY

Drive Details

Level:  Fewbie and above (all levels)

Meeting time:  9:00 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Kn49TmZWyWsDzpB17

Action Plan: The search for clean sand this time will bring us to the Bu Tais area, with a very simple plan: explore this far away angle of AD's desert, on the way to the so called "Bu Tais Tree Dune", a fascinating bowl with a small oasis of palm trees at its bottom.  As Churchill would have said, "we know (the drive) will be hard, we expect it to be long, and we cannot predict its tribulations" 😉. Jokes apart, I can only predict that this will be a long and interestingly challenging drive, from which we count to leave the "tribulations" away. Come with a very full tank, refreshments, and some food, as we plan to have a picnic lunch at the Tree Dune.

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 03:30 PM

P.S. Only join if you have a compressor to inflate your tires after the drive.

RECOMENDED OFF-ROAD GEAR:

• Tire deflator & Tire pressure gauge
  • Compressor (MANDATORY)
  • Walkie-talkie radio (MANDATORY)
  • Off-road flag (MANDATORY)
  • Shovel, Tow Rope & 2 Shackles
  • First-aid kit
  • Fire extinguisher

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE

• This drive is limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Friday - 12 PM.
  • If the RSVP is full, you can add your name to the waitlist, once anyone drops, you will be moved to the RSVP list.
  • RSVP will close a day prior to preparing a convoy list.
  • Latecomers will be returned - Without any exceptions.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned - Without any exceptions.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE CALENDAR

• Like (+1) 3

• Gaurav changed the title to Full Day Fewbie Desert Drive - Bu Tais Tree Dune Exploration - Abu Dhabi - 04 Feb 2024

It appears that the nearest gas station is 60 km away from the meeting point (here). @Ale Vallecchi, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe my 50L tank can turn out to be no match for the adventure, and I have one last day to arrange a 20L jerry can ;-) ?

1 hour ago, Marek_was003 said:

It appears that the nearest gas station is 60 km away from the meeting point (here). @Ale Vallecchi, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe my 50L tank can turn out to be no match for the adventure, and I have one last day to arrange a 20L jerry can ;-) ?

This one is about 20km closer:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/soX1HikBfnwUwqvC6

Still about 40kms from the actual meeting point, which is not that bad if you drive regular speed and 2H :) 

• Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 hours ago, Marek_was003 said:

Hi @Marek_was003. Thanks for bringing it up, and thanks to @Frederic for providing the location of the closer gas station. The one time I did that track, I managed with one full tank (78 lts) all the way from that gas station and back halfway between AD and Dubai on E11. Plus the last part of the drive will be on a dirt track, all streight and easy to manage. I think you can do it. Please let me know what you decide. Thanks a lot. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Marek_was003 said:

Thanks @Frederic, google is weird sometimes when you just look for "gas stations" in the area... I'll try this one then.

@Ale Vallecchi, I'll get a small jerry can with me just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Just make sure you have good straps to hold it down securely!  @Marek_was003

• Like (+1) 1

Wow the new 2024 satellite view in google maps from airbus KILLS the resolution from the gaia gps premium satellite feed.

look at the resolution difference!

image.png.0353185ef849962f6d91a2146506d297.png

image.png.e7b609af683142c87e1796f24e909aec.png

• WOW (+2) 1

1 hour ago, PAJERO petelczyc luke said:

Wow the new 2024 satellite view in google maps from airbus KILLS the resolution from the gaia gps premium satellite feed.

look at the resolution difference!

image.png.0353185ef849962f6d91a2146506d297.png

image.png.e7b609af683142c87e1796f24e909aec.png

Very True. 
You can add Google Satellite maps to GaiaGps by adding as a custom map. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Dear Desertnats.

Quick tips about tomerow's drive.

Gasoline - as suggested by Frederic above, the closest station to the meeting point is at https://maps.app.goo.gl/soX1HikBfnwUwqvC6. Make sure you top up to the brim. The distance we plan to cover approximates 90 Km. Plus the 40 to the meeting point that will need enough fuel for about 130, 150 Km. max. Consumption will be lower for the first 40 Km on tarmac, and the final 20 Km on a streight dirt road.

Picnic lunch - Planned at the Tree Dune. Bring your favourite food, to be enjoyed cold during our break. We will not be out of the desert until around 3PM.

Convoy order - The short convoy will start as follows:

@Marek_was003 in Second Lead

@Shaun J at #3

@Aser at #4

@PAJERO petelczyc luke in Sweep

Let's meet just before 9 AM and enjoy the fill day exploration in this beautiful piece of desert. See you tomorrow. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Important Information

Terms of use