Advertise here

Problem with trouble code U0123

Harooon

Hi guys,

Does anyone here have experience with OBD II code U0123? The ABS  light on my 2012 Camry came on, and my mechanic tells me that the code means "Lost communication with the Yaw Rate Sensor". What does this mean exactly, and how is it fixed, if it can be fixed?

I don't want to pay a fortune to have this fixed, but is this dangerous since the ABS light is on? Any advice?

Im not sure about the code, but don't worry as not everything link to ABS is scary, as it is just a feature to assist brake and prevent skidding in that one extreme hard braking once in 3 -5 years. Take your time and get it fix, but don't fall prey to greedy mechanic who link everything with brake to life and death matter. They simply use this scare tactics to make money.

Hi Haroon

I'm afraid that ABS issues is much more than "scare tactics" used by mechanics to make money,

In the case of the code you have (U0123) the problem involves the failure of the yaw sensor, or its control circuit. This sensor detects over or under steer conditions. When it does detect such a condition and it thinks that you could lose control over the car, it activates the stability control system that in its turn, uses the ABS function of the brakes to apply selective brake forces to the wheels to correct the dangerous situation.

In daily driving you could need this system at any moment. For instance, you may need to swerve violently to avoid hitting another car or some obstacle on the road, and if your stability control system is not working, you could end up in slide that could have you end up under a truck or in a ditch. Having code U0123 means you have safety critical issue, and if I were you, I would have it fixed right away.

As @brandan mentioned @treks proved. lol.

Haroon it is serious, but only if you your car is 1000 hp lamborghini that will loose control, in wet road or aggressive driving.

In you Camry case it is not even close to be worried off if you are not an aggressive driver. Secondly to fix this issue, I would ask you to get it check open power or ground leak to this module which most of the time throw that ABS light. Second you should be checking the open / short circuit in the CAN bus circuit. Hope it helps.

You will only realize the importance of ABS when you wont have. It is more than just stopping the vehicle without skidding. Read treks comment again for stability part, this guy really make sense.

• Like (+1) 1

I am afraid that Danny is misrepresenting the issue here.

Any car can go into a skid at any moment, and for a wide variety of reasons, which is why in the US market, all new cars are legally required to have a working stability control system. The ABS is  the mechanism that controls or regulates the stability control system, so without ABS, you don't have stability control, which means that you have a very good chance of ending up under a truck or in a ditch.

Other markets are following suit, and in a few years stability control will be required for all cars everywhere in the world. Even for Camry's that don't develop 1000 horse power, because stability control saves lives by preventing a large percentage of crashes.