•  
Advertise here

• Gaurav unlocked this topic
4 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

How about the generation of Pajero that you and Frederic are driving. The SWB is really good.

The list is made with practically available cars than looking for a rare find and wasting their time, still, I will add it now.

• Like (+1) 6

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Nice topic !

i think you’ve covered 95% of them, maybe except for a few rare models such as Isuzu Trooper which I was looking for a while back. But like you say, finding the good condition rare ones cost money and lots of luck and efforts. 

How would a Hilux or L200 manage ? Probably somewhat underpowered and in need of some extra clearance?

VW Touareg 2005 is also going pretty cheap. No idea how it would go in the dunes. 

Edited by Frederic
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

In my personnel experience Jeep Commander is very powerful beast but expensive to maintain. Keep away. The LR Discovery 2 is a good option, but not a climber and missing central difflock unlike the Discovery 1. Toureg is fancy, but I have only seen one in the desert and after breaking a 40K bumper in a newbie drive was never seen again.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Frederic if I'm not wrong L200 and Hilux cannot be registered for private use and only registered for companies. Isuzu, super duper rare. All German 4x4 from Touareg, Q7, Cayenne are delicate darling for regular offroad use. They are good for occasional beach trip or khawaneej level dunes, but not for regular dune bashing.

@edouard I have added Discovery, LR3, Range Rover in the list. Thanks for the suggestion

I have also added Nissan Patrol and Land Cruiser - "so-called" king of the desert :-)

@Praveenmp thanks for Nativa suggestion, but I have driven the same in the past and due to a 3.0-liter engine on LWB heavy chassis it's slightly underpowered for regular dune bashing and struggles a lot on cross tracks, soft sand, and long climbs.

• Like (+1) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Gaurav what do you think about enriching this list with the most common failures/red flags to check while buying the cars? As well as the target km to buy at? ( I know that depends mainly on how good the car had been maintained but nevertheless...)

I can also write a small scraper that can get the average price for each model per year on a daily basis. 

If we have this info in one place it would be a gold mine! 

• Like (+1) 5