•  
Advertise here

Oman Roadtrip July 2023

Frederic

Trip Update:

Date: 18 July 2023

Border crossing at Al-Ain Meyzad: https://goo.gl/maps/dfTBdaLyCXjAiZ1P6

• Do not bring drones, two-way radios, alcohol, or any other illegal items!
  • We sorted out our e-visas beforehand online (29A for sponsor and 29B for dependents), 5 OMR per person. The border official told me there’s a free visa for GCC residents somehow. Not sure if he meant online or on arrival. 
  • Crossing the border was very smooth and a matter of minutes only with a short visual check of the car.
  • Make sure to get car insurance coverage for Oman and get the “orange card”’ from your insurer. This is just a piece of paper in Arabic that states your car is insured for Oman. 
  • Make sure the vehicle is under your name. I’ve seen an occasion where the guy was barred from entering because the car was under his wife’s name, and she was not with the group. 
  • Vehicle on car loan will need clearance from the bank I heard in the past. Not sure if this is true or still valid. 

Region: Nizwahttps://goo.gl/maps/EVo2Gx8e5fuGmots8

Known for: its fort and adjacent souk, a beautiful palm tree-lined city nearby the majestic Al Hajar mountains. Somehow it felt a bit cooler here than Dubai already. 

View from Jebel Hatt (2000m elevation):

You can follow the tarmac road and climb all the way until this viewpoint: https://goo.gl/maps/NzuvpEsNyG6QX9rz6

573701066_Photo18-07-2023180246(1).jpg.c2d92d70fe40fc98b2d377a1017d1263.jpg

If you fancy some decent off-roading trails, you can go from here all the way to Rustaq via Snake Canyon.

https://goo.gl/maps/SXnWP6YEKvRWkrz19

We skipped this due to lack of time and the unpleasant weather (40+ degrees C).

Courtyard of Al Bustan Inn, a cosy small hotel which we booked for one night: 

https://goo.gl/maps/PpKW2dpNavRXctSw5

960803177_Photo18-07-2023131707.jpg.aac84db76451118b6f3bac5316f9b18c.jpg

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hey @Frederic amazing post and good to see these pics. Planning a trip early august.

Did you had a chance To camp around these places - or preferred all in Hotels? Was thinking of camping one of the nights, seems some restrictions in place in these areas. Any advice/suggestions. 

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Varun Mehndiratta said:

Hey @Frederic amazing post and good to see these pics. Planning a trip early august.

Did you had a chance To camp around these places - or preferred all in Hotels? Was thinking of camping one of the nights, seems some restrictions in place in these areas. Any advice/suggestions. 

Thanks @Varun Mehndiratta! Camping is perfectly possible here in Salalah and even encouraged with many camping stuff for sale in the super markets. In our case we had booked a small villa for 7 days in Salalah and didn’t bring the camping gear along. After visiting the places we’ve seen so far I kinda wished we brought the stuff along. On the other hand it rains practically every night so that has to be taken into account.

Our hiking boots needed two days to dry out so we had to alternate between wadi hiking and beaches. 

Lulu Hypermarket had nice camping stuff on sale, and we went to visit this store as well as we were passing by:

https://goo.gl/maps/doh1pxuyTSKVh14E6

Small shop but some nice items. They even sell the Golden Camel compressors :) 

Overall I’d recommend taking some camping gear along and setting it up when you have the occasion and feel like camping, but there are plenty hotels for each budget in Salalah and we were happy taking that option as we spend a lot of time on the road as well during the day. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thanks @Frederic, it is an excellent and informative post. For lazy bums like me who can't plan anything it is a boon.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

don't drive like its your last one.

Amazing post. I need to plan it for next year definitely, alone or in the group. Will be happy to join this initiative. I've seen some posts in other clubs people getting together and organizing trip to Salalah. I am sure many of the Carnity members will be happy to be part of trip like that, regardless how much it will cost.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

Amazing and detailed trip report for letting poor ppl like us enjoy with words and pictures.

Very well planned Fredy, ofc your level of planning is always meticulous, but I like the idea of the whole round trip to cover a long drive from both sides is very intelligent. I did it in a messed-up way due to unexpected changes.

@Frederic and @Vanessa8580  enjoy your well-deserved break and drive safe.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

20 hours ago, Frederic said:

For many, Oman is tucked away somewhere in a corner of the Middle East, and even though you might have heard abouts its beauty, its hospitality, and its variety, it is quite large and takes a bit of preparation to explore.

We decided to take a road trip over the last couple of weeks in Oman and it was no coincidence as to why we chose July. 

Every year, the Khareef (monsoon) blesses the Salalah region with clouds, rains, and turn the region into a green paradise. That includes daily temperatures around 26 degrees, and a lot of fog. As we were trying to escape the Dubai summer heat, we reckoned this was a great trip worth taking as we talked about it for years but kept postponing due to COVID and other issues.

The main plan looks like this:

Dubai to Nizwa: 420km to cover in Day One. Enjoy Nizwa old town, and Jebel Hatt/Akhdar.

Nizwa to Salalah: 876km to cover in Day Two. 7 days exploration around entire Dhofar-Salalah region. (wadis, trails, beaches, etc..)

Salalah to Duqm: 676km to cover on the 10th day, following coastal road and few stops in-between.

Duqm to Sur: 518km on the 11th day, mostly along the coastal road, with planned stop in Bar al Hikmann beach.

Sur to Dubai: 654 km on the 12th day, along Muscat, stopping on the occasional sinkhole but no wadis. (we explored those in 2019)

image.png.4664932f896f383616e04e5efd6cae95.png

Important Notes:

1. As we were traveling with one vehicle only, we were careful with off-roading and stuck to gatch tracks and existing trails as much as possible.

2. The drive from Nizwa to Salalah is long and boring (not scenic). You'll find petrol stations along the way where i recommend keeping your car always topped up. The temperature was +40 degrees, and you don't want your car to breakdown on this road so make sure it's serviced and fully inspected before embarking on this trip. 

3. The main road that goes through Salalah is the Route 47, also called Sultan Qaboos Road. Although this is a stunning road and perhaps even one of the most beautiful roads in the world, the fog made the visibility in many places almost impossible to drive. Especially once the elevation exceeded 350m it became very difficult to drive, and the cows crossing the streets on the mountain villages did not help either. This also meant that some of the waypoints we wanted to visit closer towards the Yemen border took hours to reach and we even had to skip a couple of them. 

4. Military checkpoints. The Dhofar region has a couple of military checkpoints. We did not face any issues but needed to carry our ID's at all time. 

5. Rain, and lots of it. I was happy we got new tires installed two weeks before the trip, and the car underwent a full inspection as well. At times we could not even distinguish the color of the car anymore as it got so dirty from all the mud. Luckily carwashes were easy to find.

6. The Salalah region is predominantly Sunni, while the rest of Oman is mostly Ibadi. Throughout Oman we were advised to dress modestly and even then, we got a lot of curious stares and looks :) It felt like being back in Saudi in many cases (restaurants with family section, etc..). But overall, the people are very friendly and helpful.

Further in this topic i will shortly describe the areas / waypoints we visited, with some photos to visualize the experience (although difficult). 

Stay tuned for more trip updates!

Looks like a great trip and I’m sure the Patrol did it with ease @Frederic

• Like (+1) 2