•  

Afternoon Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Vertical Limit - Badayer to Bezhad Ranch - Sharjah - 15 Mar 2024

We request every member that joins this drive to go through the information below and strictly follow these guidelines, etiquette and responsibilities.

MUST READ AND COMPLY

Drive Details

Level:  Fewbie Plus and above (all levels)

Meeting time:  2:30 PM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: https://maps.app.goo.gl/LkepsuiiEemQdL7o9

Action Plan: The Vertical Limit series has been designed to challenge members to always seek higher cumulative climbs (total meters climbed in a drive). In the past it has been focused on the Badayer area, where we can find, and climb from all directions, numerous "star" shaped dunes. At first the goal was set to climb 1,000 meters, then 1,500 meters, and eventually we managed to climb cumulative 2,000+ meters in a very fast and long Tawi Nazwa to Bezhad Ranch drive. This time we'll try, if possible, to beat the previous record of 2,046 meters

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 6:30 PM

P.S. Only join if you have a compressor to inflate your tires after the drive.

RECOMENDED OFF-ROAD GEAR:

• Tire deflator & Tire pressure gauge
  • Compressor (MANDATORY)
  • Walkie-talkie radio (MANDATORY)
  • Off-road flag (MANDATORY)
  • Shovel, Tow Rope & 2 Shackles
  • First-aid kit
  • Fire extinguisher.

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE

• This drive is limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Friday - 12 PM.
  • If the RSVP is full, you can add your name to the waitlist, once anyone drops, you will be moved to the RSVP list.
  • RSVP will close a day prior to preparing a convoy list.
  • Latecomers will be returned - Without any exceptions.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned - Without any exceptions.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE CALENDAR 

• WOW (+2) 1

• Ale Vallecchi changed the title to Afternoon Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Vertical Limit - Badayer to Bezhad Ranch - Sharjah - 15 Mar 2024

Dear Desertnauts

before getting into the details of tomorrow's drive, I need to ask you to PLAN FOR A STARTING TIME AT 3:00 PM, due to personal working engagements. I'll personally try to reach the meeting point as close to 2:30PM as possible, and so may you, but it'd be safer if we consider starting the drive a little later, so we count on leaving Badayer at 3:00 PM.

The drive will take us across the star dunes closest to Badayer in time to avoid the crowd of sunset goers. From there we'll look for, and aim to reach, all other sets of star dunes, which we'll climb as much as possible, in search for the 2,000 meter plus cumulative climb. We should continue well past Iftar and Super Bowl, to end the drive at the last set of dunes close to Bezhad Ranch, well within Madam sector.

The convoy order at the moment is the following:

@Gurcharan Mehta in Second Lead

@Marek_was003 at #3

@Gautam Banka at #4

@Cristian at #5

@Hugo at #6, and 

@Sunil Mathew in Sweep.

I am looking to have the Second Lead change with the Sweep position halfway through the drive.

See you all tomorrow (as mentioned above, actual starting time will be closer to 3:00PM than anticipated).

Have a nice evening.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

@Gurcharan Mehta, I think it's time to change your avatar :-)

DSC_0752.jpg.4674280634d2e85e15e3d5b2271ae71d.jpg

Following the 500hp monster up the hill isn't easy in an under-powered and beat-up pajero, but I believe I did achieve something last night and managed to keep up just right (often had to give @Gurcharan Mehta a lot of space before speeding up as his great car does not need any runway, unlike mine - that's why @Cristian asked me why I'm not moving - I just needed much more space to speed up before the climb).

And I believe we did that 2000 m, didn't we @Ale Vallecchi ?

DSC_0794.jpg.33d2dbcae0e0bfb3a35a8c9b86a5f6e7.jpg

Some of the ridges were bumpy but fun nonetheless. @Sunil Mathew on that photo looks almost as if trying to take off:

DSC_0808.jpg.1a0093862fa7f78e225083c664885ac7.jpg

After visiting badayer and lisali desert so many times, I am pleased to see there are so many tall dunes here, and you don't really need to drive all the way to Abu Dhabi to have a decent view:

DSC_0768.jpg.38acf2f4f491123c90f94a7ca1009740.jpg

I hope you guys enjoyed the ride as much as I did! Thank you all and see you next time!

• Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Nice shots and report @Marek_was003, thanks for that.

I think we all did great, no major issues, a part from hiding from each other sometimes behind the dunes 😄

Thanks as always to the leading team and see you all soon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Marek_was003 nice shot buddy, thanks for it, and it is nice to have you on my back :) i knew i was kind of cruising and always had you in mind that i needed to keep the pace to not break your momentum but then i got into trouble with the lead... @Ale Vallecchi the drive was awesome, my apologies for being too close at some points. I agree with @Marek_was003 and thanks to @Ale Vallecchithere are so many tall dunes, it was the wonderful side of Badayer. Great drive, great fun, thanks to all

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

12 hours ago, Marek_was003 said:

Some of the ridges were bumpy but fun nonetheless. @Sunil Mathew on that photo looks almost as if trying to take off:

thanks @Marek_was003 for that shot...yes, it really looks like i'm close to lift off 🙃:D

thanks to @Ale Vallecchi for posting this drive...returning to badayer  and the 2 popular bowls, once in a while after driving in sweihan etc will really put things into perspective ...we covered all the interesting sections in the area to end up at shuwaib 👏👍

and the afternoon was not that busy , allowing us to visit most of the dune summits

11 hours ago, Cristian said:

hiding from each other sometimes behind the dunes 😄

thanks to jeeps in the convoy @Gurcharan Mehta and @Cristian , showing off their low end torque :D and executing climbs as if they were in a morning walk , forcing @Marek_was003 and @Hugo to always drive with utmost respect :D  elongating the convoy in the process , we ended up breaking the convoy at times causing some confusion to re-group. 

nevertheless, i believe we got our fair share of adrenaline filled enjoyment in the dunes

see you all soon !!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Dear @Sunil Mathew, @Gurcharan Mehta, @Cristian, @Marek_was003 and @Hugo, just a couple of updates following the drive.

Yes, we did beat the previous total ascension record, by climbing a cumulative 2,271 meters (that is 225 meters higher than the previous 2,041-meter limit). We managed in 33 minutes less time, and 18 Km less of driving. The average moving speed (24 Km/h) was 3 Km/h lower than on the previous record holding drive, that however benefited from starting in Tawi Nazwa, which presents a much smoother and faster terrain on the way to Badayer. 

On the matter of my new car's issues, it turns out that it indeed is equipped with a RPM limiter (which I plan to reprogram ASAP). I very much appreciate the patience and understanding of the convoy in the occasion of the couple of refusals I had on the steeper and longer climbs, which required a bit of rerouting. 

With this, I thank you all for joining the drive, and look forward to seeing you soon on a new route.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use