Radio's - Baofeng UV-5R vs UV-9R

Theo09

On the hunt for a new radio, the 4 year old mechanic in our house got hold of my UV-5R and now its UV-Nothing... Anyway, any recommendation on the UV-9R which claims to have a better range?

- is it worth the extra 20aed? - got quoted 120aed for the 9R vs 100aed for the 5R at DM of course.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Theo09 said:

On the hunt for a new radio, the 4 year old mechanic in our house got hold of my UV-5R and now its UV-Nothing... Anyway, any recommendation on the UV-9R which claims to have a better range?

- is it worth the extra 20aed? - got quoted 120aed for the 9R vs 100aed for the 5R at DM of course.

Better range I don’t really believe, and would potentially only benefit the listener 😅

UV5R was known for lots of static, there’s a small software hack that solves this, I can send you more info if you need. I think the UV9R won’t be having this issue.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hi @Theo09

one voice with @Frederic, I always carry both of them, I most of the time I prefer to use UV9R in term of the sounds, more clear. I don’t know with the range.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Theo09 said:

Thanks @Frederic and @Ishak for the advise, will pick up one of each and do a bot of range testing. @Frederic, please do share the hack for the 5R?

UV5R/UV82 Squelch Levels - Miklor

You will need to install free software called CHIRP on your laptop and also buy the double jack to USB special data cable. Amazon and DM sells them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I've had the UV-5R and the static was horrendous even with squelch at lvl. 9. After that, I bought the UV-9R and it's significantly better. I don't believe it to be faulty hardware, just software.
You'll be happy to have spent that extra 20AED when you are cruising in the desert, listening to the wind. With the UV-5R all that I was hearing was: "...bzzzzzzzzz...bzz...bzzzz...bzzzzzzzzzzzzz".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Nicolò said:

I've had the UV-5R and the static was horrendous even with squelch at lvl. 9. After that, I bought the UV-9R and it's significantly better. I don't believe it to be faulty hardware, just software.
You'll be happy to have spent that extra 20AED when you are cruising in the desert, listening to the wind. With the UV-5R all that I was hearing was: "...bzzzzzzzzz...bzz...bzzzz...bzzzzzzzzzzzzz".

Try the little software hack. It has turned my UV5R into a very quiet radio 😆

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use