•  
Advertise here

Experience after replacing Fuel Pump & Filter?

Zed

Hi all, I feel like my old 2002 LC100 that has stocked up 200,000 miles (320,000 kms) is not accelerating as much as I want to and seems to have "not enough power" when going uphill. I know cos I've floored my gas pedal to the bottom, but the V8 just isn't fast in responding. I've been reading quite a bit on this issue on iH8Mud  and this page from an Auto Service

I've also asked in Land Cruiser forums in FB, and basically has a list of parts to replace, obviously won't do them in one-shot (don't have infinite money yet 😁), so I've ranked them according to my sense of urgency below:

1. Replace Fuel Pump. Based on iH8Mudder that said "Immediately mine ran better and with the age of my engine it made sense"
  2. Replace Fuel Filter. Cos might as well since I'm replacing the Pump... The engine needs good supply of gasoline in order to produce that power.
  3. Clean Throttle Body, cos cleaning should not be expensive.
  4. Check Exhaust issue: here I'm not sure what to check. Can anyone shed some light if they previously found exhaust issues to be the cause of engine power loss? Problem is the Catalytic Converter costs US$ 2,000 on Parts.Toyota.Com !
  5. Replace Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor and Oxygen Sensor , since Combustion Engine works by mixing Fuel & Air, so need the right amount of air to properly mix and produce power.
  6. Replace Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), this controls the Throttle Body so need to ensure properly giving correct readings.

I'm doing #1-3 now, so the question is: for those who have replaced Fuel Pump & Fuel Filter & Clean Body Throttle,  did you guys notice a difference after doing them?

Here are 2 videos of my mechanic replacing the Fuel Pump & Filter:

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

Some other things to consider: 

- Spark Plugs

- Clean air filter 

- Clean injectors 

And be aware that if the Landcruiser hasn’t been off-road much before, it might have become lazy and will need time to “wake up” to the world of dune bashing 😬

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 hours ago, Zed said:

Hi all, I feel like my old 2002 LC100 that has stocked up 200,000 miles (320,000 kms) is not accelerating as much as I want to and seems to have "not enough power" when going uphill. I know cos I've floored my gas pedal to the bottom, but the V8 just isn't fast in responding.

On 1/27/2021 at 11:26 AM, Gaurav said:

Hi @Zed welcome back and I have had same LC100, 2005 model but V6 from 2006 - 2008. V8 is an inch better in power but heavier too so it equates to same characteristics overall. LC100 is inherently big boat and slightly underpowered 4x4 tbh for the things that you wish to do at higher levels, BUT it's a beautiful, comfortable, safe and reliable 4x4 that can go for years and years taking regular off-road abuse.

Hi @Zed if it was struggling in a small hill climb, you "MABYBE" right, but if it's a long hill climb, so refer to my earlier advice.

LC100 - V6 or V8 isn't a climber at all due to underpower engine on heavy 4x4.

So I will only say, that spend wisely.

• Sad (0) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

It’s on the other hand a legendary overlanding vehicle, but less of a dune basher. So the definition of off-roading largely depends on what you like and what you want to achieve with it. If I’d get my hands on a classic LC i would equip it with a solar panel on the roof, camping gear, and would make a Liwa crossing while taking my dogs and happily sitting at the camp fire at night. 😀 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

i'm sad with @Gaurav's comment that I may need to part with this LC when I reach Expert Level (or Intermediate maybe?), but was comforted by @Frederic's comment that this LC is great for family camping, so I might stay with this LC for more years before parting with it... no rush to reach Expert Level with SWB yet 😊

• Haha (+1) 1

As an update, got my car back after 1-3 were done. Car felt more responsive, but it could be "feeling better after doctor visit" syndrome 😅 

Will test it this weekend on the sand, let's see!

PS: surprised how still clean the Throttle Body is 

• Like (+1) 1

@Zed from 4-6 I only see the catalyc converter as expensive, if something is wrong with it the car would normally throw a check engine light. I agree with @Frederic to change the plugs, clean the air filter or replace as necessary. MAF sensor can be removed and sprayed with carbuerator cleaner to clean it, you do not need to replace it if it's still working. Do not spray it with WD40 as that is oil based and more sand will stick to it once you back in the desert.

Also agree with @Gaurav bhai that it is not a climber due to its power to weight ratio, but don't be disheartened. It's early days, learn how to handle it well. My Pathfinder is not a climber, but I still find ways to be on top. Tires and proper deflation also play a crucial role. So when you change your tires try to get the Yokohama Geolandars AT. You can easily deflate them down to 10 or 11 PSI and find a world of difference. Enjoy learning and have faith in yourself and the King of the desert.

• Like (+1) 2

Hi @Rahimdad i got the Yoko Geolandar as my first mod. @Asif Hussain bhai told me I can go to 12psi and it felt smoother surfing on sand 😊

F92FDC91-2CBA-4DD8-A0EE-A35BF4692DF5.png

• Well Done (+2) 3