•  
Advertise here

Recovery rope and soft shackles

Rob S

Hi all,

I’ve been looking at getting recovery rope and soft shackles.

understand carnity use Viking rope (cannot find anymore) or AOR red rope.

What are recommendations for soft shackles, a lot on Amazon with various breaking strains and working weights. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Hi all,

I’ve been looking at getting recovery rope and soft shackles.

understand carnity use Viking rope (cannot find anymore) or AOR red rope.

What are recommendations for soft shackles, a lot on Amazon with various breaking strains and working weights. 

The AOR recovery rope is indeed a very popular rope. It will last a very long time, and is available in Speedex / Ace 

Regarding the soft shackles, i have been buying them through Amazon but i noticed the type i bought is not available anymore. They cost around 75AED per piece and had a 19T breaking strength. I preferred them over the AOR ones which cost double the price.

These look very similar:

Black Synthetic Soft Shackle Rope, Set of Two 1-2 Inch X 22 Inch (38,000lbs Breaking Strength) Soft Shackle Rope Synthetic with Protective Sleeve for Boating ATV Truck Jeep Recovery( Black, 2 Pack): Buy Online at Best Price in UAE - Amazon.ae

I've seen ads about Gazelle Offroad which are selling ropes and soft shackles. Look pretty decent as well. (and available on Amazon)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

When it comes to the kinetic recovery ropes, err on the side of higher is better.

Unlike "flat towing ropes", the way these ropes work is that the strain in a hard tug especially for a car lodged in deep sand is translated through the rope and the elasticity of the rope better dissipates that energy when it rebounds. The last thing you want is for the rope to snap pulling the bumper, tow hook or just itself free. This has catastrophic results with these projectiles taking out windscreens and rear-screens.

When towing a car, you wouldn't use a kinetic recovery rope, but a flat towing rope instead. This is because these ropes are more taut and better at towing than tugging. For our purposes, I would start with a high quality kinetic recovery rope (high breaking strain - AOR level preferably) and then as you progress to the higher levels, get a custom industrial strength tow rope cut for you at Dragon Mart for that one off occasion when you may need to tow somebody.

Edited by munkybizness
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

50 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Thanks Frederic, 

I saw the gazelle rope but noted the breaking strain is only half that of the AOR. Is there any guidance on what’s good enough? 

Rule of Thumb is 3-4 times the weight of the vehicle, so if you are pulling out an Xterra by example, your rope should have a breaking strength of at least 6000-8000kgs. You will see the AOR rope exceeds this by far. I have only heard of 1-2 AOR ropes breaking since i started offroading.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I have purchased this set of soft shackles with a breaking strength of approx 15000 kg from Amazon.com. Along with shipping costs it's much cheaper than the AOR ones and has so far served me well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07TDCHY2X?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Also most of the failure of shackles is because the rope part of the shackle is exposed to a sharp metal (from the tow point). It's good to use a sleeve that will help prevent early damage. The ones in the link have an extra set of sleeves, whereas the AOR ones don't seem to have it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Srikumar said:

It's good to use a sleeve that will help prevent early damage

Good point Sri , instead I use the D shakes 

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use