•  
Advertise here

Pajero 4th Generation Blinking Center Diff Lock Light

Many of us Pajero owners will face the dreaded orange blinking Center Diff Lock light sooner or later. All 4 green lights for the wheels will be OFF, and only the orange center diff lock light will be blinking.

4x4.JPG.e634f1dbcdde38af1107906d899d61eb.JPG

There are a few reasons why this occurs.

When the ECU notices a vacuum leak after 10-15 mins, it will engage the orange Center diff lock light and will start blinking. Restarting the vehicle mostly does the trick, but if this happens more often, you might be having an issue with either the vacuum hoses, or the solenoids.

The first thing to check are the vacuum hoses underneath the car that connect to the freewheeling clutch actuator:

clutch.JPG.7887ec33a33f17d21c11b11d3280a9ed.JPG

This actuator is a small piston that is controlled by vacuum. Check if the vacuum hose is still intact and does not have any cracks in it. Pull back the rubber boot and remove dirt and sand that you will definitely find in there when you go for regular offroading. 

If all this is verified and found OK, but the problem still persists, move on to the vacuum solenoids, which are located in the engine bay next to the air filter box.

Below you will see the set. Mitsubishi No. 8657A031 for a Pajero 4th 2008. Price is around 360 Dhs.

IMG_8548.jpg.84668f6e3eb5a6911b7f4783ccf3c0bf.jpg

Replacing the actuator set: (TAKES MAX. 20 MINS)

With a 10mm ratchet you can easily unscrew the two bolts holding the unit in place. Remove the black vacuum hoses by twisting and turning them. They might be a bit stuck so you can use some pliers to twist them gently, and then remove them by gently pulling them. 

Now remove the 2 electrical connector (push the small lever on top, and pull). They might also be a little bit stuck with dirt and sand and over the years, just take your time and don't force it. 

IMG_8545.jpg.a56130c7461fdea1cc6749d2ac969be6.jpg

Now install the new unit and make sure to put the electrical connectors and 3 vacuum hoses in the exact same way. You will see that there is a solenoid with a Blue dot and a solenoid with a Yellow dot for easy referencing.

IMG_8547.jpg.8db779faa7130f6b5533e97de75ffc39.jpg

The old unit can be tested with an Multimeter with Resistance (Ohm) measurement setting, but will not give you 100% confirmation that they are defective or not. We have seen intermittent problems with these solenoids where they become sticky during hot weather only.

With the multimeter, put it on Ohms, range 200, and measure the resistance of each solenoid. It should be approx 40 Ohms. If it is above or below, this is the indication that they need replacement. In my case this was an intermittent failure that would come up once in a while, especially during hot days, so i've decided to replace them as the vehicle is 12 years old. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 minute ago, RohanH said:

I had this issue. Mechanic repoaved the solenoid. I bought it in sharjah, i think 245 aed. Plus labor

That’s a good price. Did he replace both of them or only one ? I paid 360 for the complete unit from Habtoor DIP. 

• Like (+1) 3

This is nice Fredy, and any clue on what part to check/change for rear differential in Pajero 2.5 Gen.

Since last few months my rear diff stop engaging and making that grrrrr noise, when I press the switch.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

56 minutes ago, Frederic said:

That’s a good price. Did he replace both of them or only one ? I paid 360 for the complete unit from Habtoor DIP. 

This is whatbI bought. Plus Labor chagges were almst 80. Which was high I guess

Screenshot_20200725-144629_WhatsApp.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RohanH said:

Screenshot_20200725-144629_WhatsApp.jpg

You had a good price for the unit (if it’s original Mitsubishi part of course). Like I mentioned installing takes max 15-20 mins and can be done easily yourself. 

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

This is nice Fredy, and any clue on what part to check/change for rear differential in Pajero 2.5 Gen.

Since last few months my rear diff stop engaging and making that grrrrr noise, when I press the switch.

There is a condition programmed In the 4WD ECU which ONLY allows your Rear Diff lock to be engaged IF you’re in 4Lo and the center diff light is on. If that’s ok but still does not work then it might be the compressor (brrr...brrr). 

If the orange center Diff Lock light is not activating, that sensor or wiring is probably defective.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

26 minutes ago, Frederic said:

You had a good price for the unit (if it’s original Mitsubishi part of course). Like I mentioned installing takes max 15-20 mins and can be done easily yourself. 

There is a condition programmed In the 4WD ECU which ONLY allows your Rear Diff lock to be engaged IF you’re in 4Lo and the center diff light is on. If that’s ok but still does not work then it might be the compressor (brrr...brrr). 

If the orange center Diff Lock light is not activating, that sensor or wiring is probably defective.

Yes. You are right.

I bought it from Divya so I believe it is original.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

6 hours ago, RohanH said:

I checked in mitsubishi authorised spare parts dealer in Ajman, its price is 230 dhs (including Vat) 

May be i also need to change it, its showed same issue once on high way. 

Hi @Frederic where to check vacuum hoses?? do i need to take it to the garage or can check by myself?? may be some photo can help to find it. 

The first thing to check are the vacuum hoses underneath the car that connect to the freewheeling clutch

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Shiju Manuel said:

I checked in mitsubishi authorised spare parts dealer in Ajman, its price is 230 dhs (including Vat) 

May be i also need to change it, its showed same issue once on high way. 

Hi @Frederic where to check vacuum hoses?? do i need to take it to the garage or can check by myself?? may be some photo can help to find it. 

The first thing to check are the vacuum hoses underneath the car that connect to the freewheeling clutch

2BF6DCE2-DFF4-4FA8-8C1C-EBE225F317D7.jpeg.97d2dec642c55d32d7383bffdaed8704.jpegCheck underneath the front axle. Try to locate the black rubber hoses and inspect them. Pull back the rubber boot and clean the sensor. 
This, and removing the solenoid is about the only thing you can do yourself, if still the issue comes back you might want to take it to a workshop. 

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, Frederic said:

2BF6DCE2-DFF4-4FA8-8C1C-EBE225F317D7.jpeg.97d2dec642c55d32d7383bffdaed8704.jpegCheck underneath the front axle. Try to locate the black rubber hoses and inspect them. Pull back the rubber boot and clean the sensor. 
This, and removing the solenoid is about the only thing you can do yourself, if still the issue comes back you might want to take it to a workshop. 

Thanks @Frederic 

• Like (+1) 2