COVID19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Fossil Rock - Sharjah - 4 Sep 2020

Jeepie

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: COVID19 Precautions

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: BAN POST

Two Way Radio Guidelines

• Every Offroader brings his own radio, programmed to the frequencies described in below advice topic.
  • We will not share spare radios or program your radio on the drive. If you need assistance in programming the radio, post a topic on the Carnity website with your questions and we will help you out. 
  • Make sure your radio is fully charged. It will be your only way of communication while driving.
  • Before buying, please carefully read below advice so you are informed properly on which model / cost / shops...
  • No radio = No drive. It is an essential tool and you should make sure you bring it on every drive and learn/practice how to use it.

MUST WATCH: NEWBIE VIDEO BRIEFING

Drive Details

Level:  Fewbie and above (All Level)

When: 4 Sep 2020, Friday.

Meeting time: 5:30 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: https://goo.gl/maps/chuhZPuBmDdt3fNx5 (Mahafiz Fewbie start)

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 09:30 AM

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE:

• Limited to 10 cars maximum. RSVP will close on Thursday - 9 AM.
    • 1 Lead Marshal + 2 or 1 Senior Members + 10 Members.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members that do not confirm the terms of the COVID requirements will be removed from the RSVP list.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

THIS IS A COMPRESSOR ONLY DRIVE. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS DRIVE UNLESS YOU HAVE A COMPRESSOR. ANYONE ARRIVING AT THE DRIVE WITHOUT A COMPRESSOR, FLAG, PROPER SHOVEL AND DEFLATION KIT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO JOIN THE DRIVE. ALL TOW POINTS WILL BE CHECKED BEFORE DEPARTURE. 

PLEASE RSVP ON THE CALENDAR

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

@Jorge Stepniak Felippe and @Pancho can you please read and agree to the Covid 19 guidelines, by clicking the totally agree button?

Edited by Jeepie
wrong name
  • Like (+1) 1

Morning Fewbie Drive Fossil Rock 4 Sept 2020

Attendees Level Car Radio Pos #  
Jeepie Expert Jeep Wrangler Y 1 Lead
Veedooshee S Fewbie Mitsubishi Pajero LWB Y 2 2nd lead
Sreejith Sreenivasan Fewbie Land Rover LR2 Y 3  
Mukundan Nair Fewbie Nissan Xterra Y 4  
Rahimdad Crew Nissan Pathfinder Y 5 CF
Shjiu Manuel Fewbie Mitsubishi Pajero LWB Y 6  
Lorenzo Candelpergher Fewbie Nissan Patrol Y62 Y 7  
Pancho Intermediate Jeep Wrangler SWB Y 8  
Wrangeld Expert Mitsubishi Pajero SWB Y 9 SW

We will use radio channel 4 and depending on the moving of the convoy, will go through the dunes towards the play area on route to Fossil Rock. Instead of going up and over, I plan to go up and come back down to explore a bit more desert towards Al Faya. We might make it all the way there, or try to do some technical dunes and come back on the track that will lead us out past the archeological site.

See you soon

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Dear @Jeepie,

Thanks for leading this very nice drive to Fossil Rock and Al Faqa. 

Temperatures were not too bad today: I believe for a good part of the ride my thermometer showed less than 30°C and certainly the clean view of the dawn through Fossil Rock was worth the effort of a 4:40am wake-up.. 

It was a very smooth drive, with good fun at the Long Dune play area where we had the chance to ride multiple times without interferences. 

Going around Fossil Rock rather than crossing the saddle at the top was new for me, and I enjoyed the spectacular view from the side of the rock. 

Things got more interesting heading towards Al Faqa, going though Camel Rock and The Sphinx: for the latter, coming in from the north side, I could really understand the reasons of the naming as the rock really looked as a huge cat on the sand. 

As @Wrangeld commented on the radio, I had to leverage all my horsepower (in 4L) to get out of a nasty mini-bowl that I had missed to see in a moment of distraction after being idle waiting for a recovery to be completed: 2nd time in recent rides that I get stuck as a result of impatience.. Need to work on it 😂

Good fun again at The Saddle playground: it felt great to make it to the top with @Pancho, who climbed up with great agility despite the churned up sand, while I had to give up on my 1st attempt as I had accidentally engaged traction control, which killed all my power when I most needed it.. 😭

It was odd to see @Wrangelddriving a comfortable and air-conditioned Pajero. I am curious to read his impressions about it.

Thanks to all and well done. See you next week.

20200904_151926.jpg

Screenshot_20200904-151808_PathAway Pro.jpg

Edited by Lorenzo Candelpergher
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thanks @Jeepie for the nice morning drive and also given me the responsibility of second lead, i hope i have managed to reroute and announce the cautions where ever necessary except two places where i had no view infront of me and by the time you took the radio to announce am already stuck  and thanks for pulling  me out which i got a nice opportunity to test my new viking rope which got it from @Rahimdad early morning today 😄

We all had a good time at the play area with multiple time attempt and heading towards Faya was really enjoyable with high dunes. 

See you soon. Few Pcs uploaded in gallery.

Edited by Shiju Manuel
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Small Yet Perfectly Formed

Some drives just work, and that was the case for this morning's Fewbie drive to Fossil Rock. Having scouted the route with @Jeepie earlier in the week (more to test drive my new wheels than anything else), I knew that the route for this drive took the Fossil Rock experience to a new level. As the smaller than usual number of drivers found out, this was a drive full of unexpected gems. 

@Shiju Manuel was given his first chance to play secnd lead, and newly promoted @Pancho was centre forward. This all meant that at sweep, I had only to make sure I did not embarass myself, feeling like I did like a Newbie getting to grips with the new car. 

What @Lorenzo Candelpergher, @Mukundan Nair and @Sreejith Sreenivasan did not realise is that for other reasons, this drive made Carnity history. To my knowledge, this is the first time that there has been a (married) couple managing a drive [top and tail at least] as the seniors on the drive. @Rahimdad - we know that it's been a dream of yours to have a first woman leader in the Carnity community: Today was that day. 

Not just with aplomb, but consummate confidence and capability this drive took us through the technical dunes to the first play area, up to the top of Fossil Rock and then on to Faya through the soft sandy dunes that cover the route and catch the unaware. 

We even got to see the Newbie convoy arriving at the play area as we were about to leave to continue the fun (clearly that crested Ford was eventually tugged off!)

The level was excellent, a great balance between speed and complexity, evidenced by the limited number of hold ups for the odd tug or dig or reroute. 

Small but perfectly formed - two of our drivers made it to the top of Faya the hard way. Small but perfectly formed - the rest of the convoy performed very well despite the soft sand benefitting from less cars churning up the sand. Small but perfectly formed - we exited on time with everyone having big smiles and a look of satisfaction.

Excellent lead @Jeepie you make it look easy. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

It was indeed the best drive I had so far with a perfect mix of speed and complexity.. couldn’t ask for more!!

Congratulations @Jeepie and @Wrangeld for making a mark in Carnity history. Keep going!!

@Shiju Manuel @Pancho kudos to both of you for today’s job well done 👍 

Seeing my 6yr old daughter literally having big smiles everytime we were negotiating those tricky tall dunes was super satisfying! 

Thanks to each and everyone for managing the whole drive really well. You were all amazing today!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use