•  

I drive so I can take photos

Michael Glavanis

Hello all, 

One of the reasons I love driving with Carnity is the opportunities I get to see a part of the UAE that is hidden away. The opportunity to take photos, camp and fly my drone. Does anyone have recommendations for locations (preferably not requiring a COVID test) for photography/drone flying. Also is anyone interested in some weekend drives where the focus is on photography and camping so we can wake up in time for that sunset?

Thanks,

Michael

• Like (+1) 6
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

31 minutes ago, Michael Glavanis said:

Hello all, 

One of the reasons I love driving with Carnity is the opportunities I get to see a part of the UAE that is hidden away. The opportunity to take photos, camp and fly my drone. Does anyone have recommendations for locations (preferably not requiring a COVID test) for photography/drone flying. Also is anyone interested in some weekend drives where the focus is on photography and camping so we can wake up in time for that sunset?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi @Michael Glavanis for photography i would recommend you joining our offroad drives on a regular basis, as we cover Dubai, Sharjah, and Abu Dhabi areas where there are tons of nice locations. If you see a nice place during the drive, save it as a waypoint in your GPS app so you can revisit with friends and setup the drone or tripod.

Once i have a bit more free time, i am planning on posting such kind of drives, stay tuned !

• Like (+1) 6

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

For photography I love the area close to Jebel Hafeet in Al Ain, its called the Zakher Lake. Unlike the man-made lakes in Dubai Qudra Area, this is a natural lake, and I enjoy the scene with the lake, the dunes and the mountains all in one shot. The place was even good for visitors earlier as there were some nice gazebos and portable toilets around the area. Sad thing is it was all spoilt and run down with the toilets closed and a stink coming from the lake the last time I visited. There are a nice set of dunes in the area where you can play for an hour or so and is not really a great off-road area, but you can camp out with a short fun filled dune bash and BBQ. The best time of the day to capture some amazing pics would be during sun rise as the sun comes up over the Jebel Hafeet mountain. Here are some photos in our Gallery to wet your appetite.

• Like (+1) 8

30 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Hi @Michael Glavanis for photography i would recommend you joining our offroad drives on a regular basis, as we cover Dubai, Sharjah, and Abu Dhabi areas where there are tons of nice locations. If you see a nice place during the drive, save it as a waypoint in your GPS app so you can revisit with friends and setup the drone or tripod.

Once i have a bit more free time, i am planning on posting such kind of drives, stay tuned !

Joining my third drive on Saturday. It does feel sometimes that we are racing through the desert and the only time we get to stop is when someone gets stuck. :-) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

Hi @Thomas Varghese, this might just be the club and the enthusiast you need to fulfil your photography dreams.

I would love to take few classes from @Michael Glavanis regarding drone photography as its a new field for me. I'm always with my heavy DSLR's 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thomas Varghese said:

I would love to take few classes from @Michael Glavanis regarding drone photography as its a new field for me. I'm always with my heavy DSLR's 

Time to go mirrorless. Much lighter on the shoulders. :-) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

14 minutes ago, Michael Glavanis said:

Joining my third drive on Saturday. It does feel sometimes that we are racing through the desert and the only time we get to stop is when someone gets stuck. :-) 

I jump out of the car, open my camera bag, grab the camera with the lens currently on it and start clicking as soon as I find the convoy is stuck. 

Just now, Michael Glavanis said:

Time to go mirrorless. Much lighter on the shoulders. :-) 

Corona times @Michael Glavanis. Business is down and funds are low. God knows how we survive. Everyday is a miracle how we push to the next day. Will go mirrorless when we are funded well. The only stress buster now is the desert drives which really takes us away from the stress of business as my concentration is only on driving. 

• Like (+1) 4

@Michael Glavanis we use an instrument on our drive which can stop the convoy in its tracks. It is called a 2 way radio. If you find a scenery which you really like to shoot, just ask the convoy lead to have a short stop some some pics. Follow the Covid19 guidelines and click to your hearts content. Just like we have bio breaks we could have something like click breaks as well. Just limit the number and don't be stopping the convoy every 5 minutes as that disrupts the movement of the convoy. With more interested members we could have a separate drive which would focus on photography instead of learning how to drive in the sands. I find your feedback very positive and something we can learn from, sure pre-covid19 we were much more lenient, but that does not mean we cannot make a few exceptions as long as the overall drive is not interrupted and Covid19 precautions are followed. We are not police, we are just trying to uphold the law while proving an opportunity to learn off-road driving within the countries laws, we don't want to jeopardize these drives just because we were caught not abiding by the countries rules. With the vaccines out it will be only a matter of time before we can have more flexibility on our drives.

• Like (+1) 4

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2021 at 11:21 AM, Frederic said:

when is the next drive exclusively for photography going to be @Frederic?

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use