Repair for Hydraulic Jack - advise sought on possible repair service

Wrangeld

I have a JZX hydraulic jack - quite a common model in the club. http://www.gulf-jzxtools.com/products-detail.asp?ID=2236

It's a great model: swivel head, not too heavy, decent carry case so I would like to continue using it, but it's lost it's mojo. It's become more desert plain than Burj Khalifa.

I have gone through the obvious fixes of re-priming and filling more oil, but it's clear there is a leak in one of the seals on the jack on the piston (the oil left inside the carry case is a bit of a giveaway). 

It is not the most expensive item in the world, but I do not want to throw it away if someone in the club has the address of someone that can repair the jack. 

JZX did not even reply to my mails to their service department, so they probably regard the jack as dispoable, but adding another 25kg of metal to the landfil in Sharjah just does not feel right. 

Any suggestions?  

• Like (+1) 4

Good you making an attempt to fix what can be fixed than just throwing it away. Way to go Richard.

Jack losing oil have 50% chance of saving if oil was leaked due to storing upside down (not sideways). If you never kept it upside down, then you are right the internal seal must be replaced.

I don't have any solution, but as we have tons of these jack in our club and last two week back I noticed @Zed and @Hasan Wahlan jack was leaking too and not lifting enough in Khatim. I feel someone with mechanical knowledge and free time should find a way to fix these leaking seal issue with hydraulic jack.

Just a food for thought for someone having free time and curiosity to solve this problem.

If anyone is interested here maybe Richard (in Dubai) OR Zed and Hassan (in Abu Dhabi) can leave the jack for experimentation.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

14 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

If anyone is interested here maybe Richard (in Dubai) OR Zed and Hassan (in Abu Dhabi) can leave the jack for experimentation.

More than happy to have someone experiment on my jack. There's a business in this somewhere because I am 100% sure that it's not just in Carnity that this is a problem, but across the UAE 4x4 community. Alternative is that if someone has a workshop and is curious we can take a look together and see how to fix this poblem.

• Like (+1) 5

Dear @Wrangeld will give it a try in the workshop. My team, went through many similar situations, and managed with our technician to find solutions and repair. Will be happy to try to fix it, but if not fixed, will be sure to give it back as is 😅. In case will go into partner ship, new business jack repair, you in marketing and we in service 50-50 😉

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Wrangeld looking at this DIY Jack Rebuild Instructions, it seems:

a. Good quality brands sell a "Rebuild Kit" with instruction diagram in case it needs to be repaired.

b. Cheaper brands don't bother as they want you to buy new one.

c. A floor jack contains a bottle jack inside it laid sideways, so maybe you can replace the bottle jack that's hidden inside with a spare or second-hand bottle that's working fine... Else you gotta open up that bottle jack and dig deep.

If the brand doesn't sell Rebuild Kits, it looks like a hassle and maybe you can call each of these guys to make assessment how much money it will cost to disassemble and repair:

250D4AB3-5422-4550-B30D-22A2210F3A7F.jpeg.1a8580f3c1e08676c0368aca136dfc73.jpeg

Refill & Bleed

For others already on this thread, if it leaks or losing its mojo, do not deteriorate further by replacing Hydraulic Oil with Brake Fluid, Motor Oil or other types of oil (not even Vegetable Oil!) :

1. Buy Hydraulic Jack Oil with these characteristics

2. Bleed the air out after refilling the oil

Edited by Zed
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

4 minutes ago, Hisham Masaad said:

Dear @Wrangeld will give it a try in the workshop. My team, went through many similar situations, and managed with our technician to find solutions and repair. Will be happy to try to fix it, but if not fixed, will be sure to give it back as is 😅. In case will go into partner ship, new business jack repair, you in marketing and we in service 50-50 😉

Dear Hisham, 

As a visit to your worshop is a pleasure at any time I will take you up on the offer. I am more than happy to strip it down with the team (or have coffee with you while we wait to see the outcome :-) ). 

And for the business idea - agreed. 

If there is anyone with a broken jack, the Hishard Jack Repair Company is open for business. We guarantee you to repair or give your jack back in the condition in which we were unable to repair it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

15 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

Dear Hisham, 

As a visit to your worshop is a pleasure at any time I will take you up on the offer. I am more than happy to strip it down with the team (or have coffee with you while we wait to see the outcome :-) ). 

And for the business idea - agreed. 

If there is anyone with a broken jack, the Hishard Jack Repair Company is open for business. We guarantee you to repair or give your jack back in the condition in which we were unable to repair it. 

Espresso included in the offer

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

32 minutes ago, Hisham Masaad said:

In case will go into partner ship, new business jack repair, you in marketing and we in service 50-50 😉

Looks like a good deal, if any other position opens up pls let me know 😉☺️😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use