•  
Advertise here

Sixty is the new Forty😁!

Taimur Khan

Hi Fellow members , Been in the UAE since 1993 and always wanted to enjoy driving in the desert, finally took the plunge,Took a desert driving course a couple of years ago but did not immediately pursue dune driving though I did a lot of offroading on dirt tracks ( some dangerous ones, driving alone which wasn't right 😁). My main concern was damages to the car and expensive repairs . I then came across Carnity and learnt that their focus was on safe driving without bashing up the car, safety and discipline so I signed up. Have since finished my Absolute newbie and another twilight Drive last weekend. I must say it's been great fun.

I drive a 2015 Toyota Prado V6 and look forward to casual drives more to enjoy the scenic beauty of the region rather than extreme high powered dune bashing. See you in the sand! 

PXL_20220210_083231720-01.jpeg

• Like (+1) 7
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Welcome @Taimur Khan ! You are correct, we emphasize on doing our utmost best to minimize car damages, however offroading comes with a certain risk of occasional minor bumper damage from driving in the dunes. That is very hard to avoid.

I am doing Newbie Scenic drives approx once a month during the winter season, those will be perfect for you to enjoy !

• Like (+1) 7
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Taimur KhanAs a more mature in years driver and relatively new to off reading, I cant agree more with your comments, and wish I had taken it up years ago. I did damage my brand new Jeep whilst driving as a newbie, but as @Fredericstates that was inevitable and i would say unavoidable and all part of the fun and of course very steep learning curve. Came down off of a steep dune (no lift kit fitted at the time) hit the rear bumper pretty hard which broke the plastic brackets on the bumper. Was fairly easily fixed at home with some ingenuity and some old bits of metal brackets, bolts and Loctite thread lock (still holding strong today). That of course happened several times, until i had the not so new and slightly damage jeep lifted. @Carnity is certainly the place to learn, grow in competence, and mature in the off road community, importantly all done in a safe and friendly environment. Cannot recommend the club enough and very much enjoy my ventures into the sand pit with the excellent team of Marshalls and support folks (too numerous to mention here but they know who they are.

Hope to meet you in the sand soon when we are out and about. Drive Safe. Davie 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Taimur Khan I disagree with the title. 60 is not the new forty. Ask our veteran @Ashok chaturvedi or me. I'm not 60 but nearing to it. I feel I'm a teen at 18 when driving through the sand. 

• Like (+1) 5

Hi @Taimur Khan 

Thank you for the intro and welcome to Carnity offroad club. The desert 🌵 has two faces certainly not the worst as long as we respect it’s strong Mother Nature mood and just glide along with it and never against it. 
In day one I broke my JGC radiator in a nose dive , however the “ desert bug “ sting effect was stronger than just to let go and here we go after 1.5 years in this lovely community every week we bounce on rubber almost “ropeless”

Safety is all what we seek in any drive level we lead or support . 

in this forum you will find a plenty of materials to read which I recommend every one to do from time to time which I found extremely useful in this new world . 

best time drive safe . cheers 

Mohamed 

• Like (+1) 5