Baofeng's annoying static noise - Tutorial on how to fix UV5R / UV82 / F8HP / 82HP

Nicolò

On the highest squelch level, your radio keeps picking up even the smallest of noises?
Do you keep getting distracted by static noise during your drive?
Then you need to adjust the internal squelch levels.

This tutorial is valid for Baofeng models UV5R, UV82, F8HP, and 82HP. It is not valid for models UVB5/B6 or BF888S.
You will need to:
- purchase the Baofeng USB programming cable
- download CHIRP

The fix needs a bit of programming (that's why the USB cable), but it's easy enough and all the steps are explained in detail in this articleAdjusting the internal Squelch Levels - UV5R / UV82 / F8HP / 82HP series

TL;DR The factory's internal squelch level settings have long been known to have little or no impact on the actual squelch range. The smallest noise burst would easily open the squelch regardless of setting 0 through 9. Most standard Baofeng factory squelch levels range from a low of 14-22 to a high of 40-48, both of which are low, and offer very little variation of squelch levels.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 5

3 hours ago, Nicolò said:

On the highest squelch level, your radio keeps picking up even the smallest of noises?
Do you keep getting distracted by static noise during your drive?
Then you need to adjust the internal squelch levels.

This tutorial is valid for Baofeng models UV5R, UV82, F8HP, and 82HP. It is not valid for models UVB5/B6 or BF888S.
You will need to:
- purchase the Baofeng USB programming cable
- download CHIRP

The fix needs a bit of programming (that's why the USB cable), but it's easy enough and all the steps are explained in detail in this articleAdjusting the internal Squelch Levels - UV5R / UV82 / F8HP / 82HP series

TL;DR The factory's internal squelch level settings have long been known to have little or no impact on the actual squelch range. The smallest noise burst would easily open the squelch regardless of setting 0 through 9. Most standard Baofeng factory squelch levels range from a low of 14-22 to a high of 40-48, both of which are low, and offer very little variation of squelch levels.

Nice tutorial.
I'm using UV5R with firmware BFB298 and haven't come across any problems getting excess static on the radio. Maybe the later firmware versions cleaned up the settings/squelch algo. But will bookmark this incase i run into the problem in the future. Cheers.,

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PAJERO petelczyc luke said:

I'm using UV5R with firmware BFB298 and haven't come across any problems getting excess static on the radio. Maybe the later firmware versions cleaned up the settings/squelch algo.

I'm running the same firmware version and had the squelch issue. It also seems they keep the same configuration of squelch levels even on newer/older firmware.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Nicolò said:

I'm running the same firmware version and had the squelch issue. It also seems they keep the same configuration of squelch levels even on newer/older firmware.

I applied the same “hack” on my UV5R and it works great. Mine suffered as well from a constant squelch pickup. 

Nicely documented article !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Important Information

Terms of use