•  
Advertise here

LED Blinking light attachment to off road flag for Night driving

51 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

We all are excited about starting off Night driving not to miss out on desert driving in summer to save us from the scorching heat.

I was looking at options for improving visibility on drives especially for cars in the the convoy at back/ when one is following a car to have a better sight of the car in front. Simplest one can do would be to attach LED blinkers to their respective off road flags at the top or just below the flag so that it makes it a tad bit easier for the car behind to follow and for safety crossing taller dunes . Just the way a off road flag serves it purpose during the day, it would do with these at night.

These LED blinkers are available on line - basically cycle LED blinking lamps which also come with USB recharging options. Cost varies between different options and colors but a basic one would cost around 30-40 AED and I suppose it is worthwhile to have these.

Any other suggestions or advises is welcome

BIKUUL Bike Lights Front and Back, USB Bicycle Front Light with Loud Horn,  with 3 Lighting Modes, High Strength Waterproof, Bike tail light, Best  Cycling Gift (Black): Buy Online at Best Price

I would want to join night drive and experience it and learn the night drive, to do it safe and to enjoy can do any thing and this is not expensive one, good suggestion!!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Arman ran some led Christmas lights down the flag pole 🎄!  Was a very clever way to add visibility!  Do let us know how you power it (assumed a simple battery pack).  

@Chaitanya D big thanks for this tip ... have ordered the same as your recommendation and getting ready for a future night drive.  

@Pmaraziti my stock FJC is blessed with Ikea candles as headlamps so I am not very confident driving with stock lights so am trying to find a budget light bar (will invest in more if I enjoy driving at night)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pmaraziti said:

This seems an idea, let me see if I find some ideas to contribute with. 

Question regarding front lights... are stock lights enough or you suggest additional auxiliary lights to be installed for the cars ? 

Stock lights with high beam is fine +/- fog lamps. Not necessary to have a led bar or extra lights when driving in a convoy as you will be following the tracks taken by car in front 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Last evening/night drive with @Chaitanya D I used a small light similar to this one  https://adventurehq.ae/products/nite-ize-spotlit-light-disco-stainless-steel-glow-and-flash-modes, perhaps it was not too bright to be noticed, because without a doubt it was outpowered by the lights of the car behind me, what you are recommending seems much better and appropriate for a night drive.  Thank you @Chaitanya D!

Edited by Mario Cornejo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is brilliant, i just searched "bike tail light" and got 2 bundled as a pair. Visible enough for car behind to guesstimate the distance from front 😊 Thanks @Chaitanya D for this tip 👍🏻

Photo of non-blinking setting:

37D2BF7C-4D53-4D93-BBE2-960929A6E0D4.jpeg.155b16d6ef5bca5fe758b3403deaa79b.jpeg

Video of blinking mode in the dark:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

I  bought this, added extra wiring that runs along the inside of the boot/trunk and attached a car cigarette lighter charger (I have one in the rear) I then attached it to my flag pole using cable ties.(It runs the length of the flag pole)  Seems quite secure but I'll soon find out haha All in all it cost me 30AED (via Dragon Mart)

N.B It is quite heavy but then I have a heavy AOR Flag and a solid mount so....

0000.PNG

• Like (+1) 3

There are very similar LED strobo-lights meant for use with quadcopter drones and therefore very resistant to impacts, water resistant and with fitting mechanisms that would allow to fix them on a small diameter pole like the flag's one. There are, as for the bycicle ones, some versions which come with rechargeable battery. It's basically the same exact concept of bicycle ones, only that they are smaller and more powerful as they are designed to be utilized at great distance and some versions also in full daylight. 

image.png.ecc21b647aeae314b6f18ef1aa58f205.png

2 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

I  bought this, added extra wiring that runs along the inside of the boot/trunk and attached a car cigarette lighter charger (I have one in the rear) I then attached it to my flag pole using cable ties.(It runs the length of the flag pole)  Seems quite secure but I'll soon find out haha All in all it cost me 30AED (via Dragon Mart)

N.B It is quite heavy but then I have a heavy AOR Flag and a solid mount so....

0000.PNG

@Foxtrot Oscarvery cool! So you have the whole pole lit?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

There are very similar LED strobo-lights meant for use with quadcopter drones and therefore very resistant to impacts, water resistant and with fitting mechanisms that would allow to fix them on a small diameter pole like the flag's one. There are, as for the bycicle ones, some versions which come with rechargeable battery. It's basically the same exact concept of bicycle ones, only that they are smaller and more powerful as they are designed to be utilized at great distance and some versions also in full daylight. 

image.png.ecc21b647aeae314b6f18ef1aa58f205.png

@Foxtrot Oscarvery cool! So you have the whole pole lit?

Yes, like a light saber hahahaha

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1